New Investor in the Bay Area

11 Replies

Hello everyone. I am a young and interested investor in the Bay Area. I would love to get any advice, learn, and potentially network with local investors. If you have any insight, please feel free to share or contact me personally? Thanks!

Welcome to BiggerPockets, Edward!

Hi @Edward Gorbis ,

And welcome! From another Bay Area investor! I own property up in the East Bay, but there are people killing it down on the peninsula too.. I have meetups up in SF/Oakland and @Johnson H. has one every month in San Jose. Be sure to come out and say hi to some other local investors.

What is it that you're looking for, or want to invest in? I've been in lower-end 2-4 units primarily for the extra cash flow. But there's all kinds of stuff out there.. Good luck! And hope to meet you in person soon!

Thanks everyone for the kind introduction. 

J. M., I appreciate the invite to the Bay Area meetup and I definitely look forward to coming and meeting everyone. If you have time, I would love to chat with you for 15-20 minutes.

As for my investment interests, I would like to start small (e.g. duplex or multiplex units). I would be intrigued to team up with trusted investors. If anyone has suggestions on how to begin, I am all ears!

@Edward Gorbis

From one newbie investor to another, welcome! I'm based in the east bay and have found BP extremely valuable. Not only for networking, but the stuff I've learned here has propelled me to make my first deal. Which (hopefully) should happen in the next week or so.

Cheers!
Ben

Hi Edward welcome to Biggerpockets!

For sure you will learn a lot from this community and get tips and ideas from real estate investors! Goodluck to you!

Welcome Edward,

Real estate investing can be a very rewarding and profitable venture. I have been an investor since 1985 and still enjoy it to this day, you must be very when investing in real estate my recommendation is to educate yourself and make sure you are prepared.

Here are some good questions to ask yourself prior to deciding which type of investing avenue to take.

Why do you want to invest in real estate?

How much time do you have to spend educating yourself?

How much time do you have to spend on investing?

How much money do you have to invest?

What are your financial goals?

Don't try to do it alone find a good real estate who specializes in The real estate investing technique that will be best for you based on your answers to questions above.

Our company Leaseown Homes invests using lease options, we found it limits our liability, allows us to minimize the use of our cash and allows us to invest in real estate without risking our credit.

Welcome to the wonderful world of real estate investing.

@Edward Gorbis

Welcome. Fill in the foundation below.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul

Welcome to the site. There is a WEALTH  of info on herr. Just ask questions 

@Edward Gorbis

Welcome to BP and the wonderful world of real estate investing.  You've got the right idea regarding networking with other investors.  Your Network = your Net Worth.  The more people you know, the easier this business gets.  

Happy Hunting!

Welcome to the site. Best of luck, the Bay Area is certainly an expensive market.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.