How to find out which properties have gone into default

5 Replies

hey everyone,

after just a few weeks on BP (and serious time on the podcast) my knowledge has gone up 10x...which means i now understand 10x how much more there is to learn! :)

thx all of you who've helped give your time and advice. 

what i realize now is just how hot our market is here in asheville, which makes finding anything that even comes close to passing the 2% rule very difficult, or just about impossible unless i can find a truly motivated seller. 

i've noticed on zillow that country records will state when a home is in default. i'm sure there's a lag time there. is there a way to get this information faster? is it obtainable directly from the country recorders' office...and if so what would i do to get it?

pls forgive the noob question...i'm sure a million ppl have already thought of this but i'm not seeing this exact question here on the forums.  

Here you go, check this out. I can't speak to the strategy, but it's never bad to know where to find documents. Be sure to check out the tabs at the top of the page.

Buncombe County, NC Recorder of Deeds

In some areas of the country you can subscribe to a data service that can provide you with that information based on what county you are looking for. There's one here in my area. Aside from that, check with your county recorder to see how you would be able to gather that information. 

@Lisa Kohl , how's the market looking up there from a residential investment standpoint? I've got a friend near you who I'd love to get interested.

thx for the thoughts y'all. 

@Chad Clanton competitive market here. Inventory is rather slim but investors are still purchasing property here. Rents are up and our vacancy rates are extremely low especially in SFR.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you