Best beginner REI books to read

10 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie on the forums this is my first post, so far this site has been interesting. I have read over 10+ posts, attended the last webinar starring Brandon, and listened to a few podcasts. I just turned 20 years old as of 2015 so I am not rushing anything. However, REI has been my passion since I was a kid. I have 700+ credit and still finding ways to increase it, but I need to start reading books to gain more knowledge and networking. I am located in Chicago so far I have two mentors. My aunt who is the top accountant of AVIV REIT(which is currently being sold) and the Shayne Evans; Director and CEO of the University of Chicago Public Schools. They are here for support and networking but have limited knowledge about REI. So if I could get any suggestions on a list of "must-read" books about REI. Also I am kind of confused on if there is a difference between a simple real estate license or real estate broker's license.

In advance thanks!!

Millionair Real Estate Investor - great book for both beginners and veterans.

The two licensures are different. You need to be an agent before becoming a broker.

Hello @Mykhail Bolden welcome to BP!  The 2 quick answers for finding books to read are; 1.) Start listening to every Podcast on here, at the end of the Podcast they as the interviewee their favorite real estate book at favorite business related book, you will get some great books to read from their suggestions. 2.) Type Book(s) in the search bar and you will get several previous posts about favorite real estate books.

My 2 cents...Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill 

Good Luck!

@Mykhail Bolden

Welcome.

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

Good Luck

Paul 

great question. Personally I love "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"  maybe not exactly the kind of book that you are asking about but something I think is worth reading every couple of years. 

Thank you 

all I'm starting with Rich Dad Poor Dad, Millionaire Real Estate Investor, and Landlording on auto-pilot.

Can you clarify @Rhondalette W.

This post has been removed.

Many people would probably not agree with this, but the first book (e-book actually) I read was Preston Ely's free book on his website. The first chapters are about attitude and how you look at the world. Personally, I'm really into that and believe your attitude and personality dictate a lot of what happens to people. Personally, I didn't use his method, but I have sent it to a couple friends to get them jacked up about real estate. 

It also is good to understand that world. If you get into real estate, you will definitely meet the wholesalers - some good, some bad. If you are into cash flow (which is my current focus), then the other people's recommendations are great. Those books are also good for learning vocab and tools for it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here