Best beginner REI books to read

Best beginner REI books to read

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 12 votes

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie on the forums this is my first post, so far this site has been interesting. I have read over 10+ posts, attended the last webinar starring Brandon, and listened to a few podcasts. I just turned 20 years old as of 2015 so I am not rushing anything. However, REI has been my passion since I was a kid. I have 700+ credit and still finding ways to increase it, but I need to start reading books to gain more knowledge and networking. I am located in Chicago so far I have two mentors. My aunt who is the top accountant of AVIV REIT(which is currently being sold) and the Shayne Evans; Director and CEO of the University of Chicago Public Schools. They are here for support and networking but have limited knowledge about REI. So if I could get any suggestions on a list of "must-read" books about REI. Also I am kind of confused on if there is a difference between a simple real estate license or real estate broker's license.

In advance thanks!!

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 252 votes
11y
Millionair Real Estate Investor - great book for both beginners and veterans.
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Dallas, TX · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 252 votes
    11y
    Millionair Real Estate Investor - great book for both beginners and veterans.
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 517 posts · 106 votes
    11y

    The two licensures are different. You need to be an agent before becoming a broker.

  • Wholesaler · Wentzville, MO · Member since 2014 · 155 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    Hello @Mykhail Bolden welcome to BP!  The 2 quick answers for finding books to read are; 1.) Start listening to every Podcast on here, at the end of the Podcast they as the interviewee their favorite real estate book at favorite business related book, you will get some great books to read from their suggestions. 2.) Type Book(s) in the search bar and you will get several previous posts about favorite real estate books.

    My 2 cents...Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill 

    Good Luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2010 · 804 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    This is good list of book recommendations.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14...

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Mykhail Bolden

    Welcome.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers).

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 61 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Thank you 

    all I'm starting with Rich Dad Poor Dad, Millionaire Real Estate Investor, and Landlording on auto-pilot.

    Can you clarify @Rhondalette W.

  • Investor · MD · Member since 2015 · 208 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    @Mykhail Bolden

     Welcome aboard to bigger pockets. I'm sort of new too :-)

  • Rental Property Investor · Leucadia, CA · Member since 2015 · 153 posts · 53 votes
    11y

    Many people would probably not agree with this, but the first book (e-book actually) I read was Preston Ely's free book on his website. The first chapters are about attitude and how you look at the world. Personally, I'm really into that and believe your attitude and personality dictate a lot of what happens to people. Personally, I didn't use his method, but I have sent it to a couple friends to get them jacked up about real estate. 

    It also is good to understand that world. If you get into real estate, you will definitely meet the wholesalers - some good, some bad. If you are into cash flow (which is my current focus), then the other people's recommendations are great. Those books are also good for learning vocab and tools for it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.