New to Bigger Pockets

8 Replies

Hi,

I just joined BP and read a few of the forums about investing in properties without any money. All of the methods sound really exciting, but I can't help but feel this invisible hurdle of self-doubt that is holding me back from physically trying to acquire a property.  I might have no money and poor credit, but I have 12 years of fine-carpentry experience, a high IQ, and an eagerness to learn how to build myself some financial security so I can escape the dreaded Rat-Race. Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks,

Wasim

@Wasim Almashhadani Welcome to BP!

As Theodore Roosevelt once said "Believe you can and you're halfway there"

Being that you're a fine carpenter you're literally half way there ...  being that you're in the construction industry you know what labor prices, you can evaluate the work to ensure it's done properly or you can save money and do it yourself ... Many investors wish they were  good with construction like you are - my self included.

You came to the right place BP has tons of resources to help you begin your journey.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to reach out  - good luck.

Carlos

Welcome Wasim!

I've found you get much more back when you don't ask for anything and instead offer to help others. Not knocking you, I've done what you're doing now and it most likely won't help you at all. You need to learn, network and offer value to others. 

Are you going to any meetings/meetups? Have you reached out to anyone locally to buy them a coffee or offered to clean up job sites, stuff envelopes, research, etc.? Are you working in a field that will put you in the path of success in REI? Could be construction/maintenance, could be in a bank, could be as a realtor. Set yourself up for success.

Why is your credit bad? What're you doing to fix it? Are you saving money for down payments or EMD? No money down (up front) is BS. You need money, whether it's yours or someone elses. If you've got none of your own and bad credit, why would I trust you with my money?

Sorry if this sounds harsh but the truth is, at least in my opinion, no money down is BS. You can get into a property (with cash) then refi your money out and be net zero of your own cash into it. Even if you want to wholesale, lists, mailers and stamps aren't free. Build your foundation of knowledge, cash and credit. Very hard to play without a little of all three. 

Last thing I'll say is, high IQ's are great but hard work and perseverance beat high IQ's 8 days a week in REI.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Carlos M. And thanks for speaking honestly, Troy S. Those are some good questions and insights. 

Hello Wasim and WELCOME to BIGGERPOCKETS. 

I completely understand your self doubts.  I have been there, in fact we all have.  As humans we are hardwired to remove ourselves from things that are unfamiliar and scary. 

But keep in mine fear can be used to your disadvantage-the self doubt that keeps one from pursuing aspirations and dreams, or to your advantage - the fear of being broke for the long-term or missing out on your dreams because you can't obtain financing because of a low credit score.  I hope you see that the advantage is that the fear of not succeeding and continuing the same path to nowhere will often times prompt you to push the self doubt away and do something. 

This is the process I went through before acquiring my first property.  And if I remain honest, I have to say that each time I  purchase a property I still feel a small pang of fear.  The real estate lessons I have learned, ensuring that I have done my homework, and knowing my business, all help me to push that fear back down to a place where it doesn't keep me up at night.

Stay connected to BP, keep reading, listening, connecting with people.  I assure you your opportunity will come and it will probably come from a place you least expect.  You have a valuable skill that is always needed by homeowners...market this skill.  I have some ideas I would like to share with you about how to market your skills to investors that may lead to a win-win for both that I would like to send via your inbox.  Please let me know if you would be open to this.

Kind regards

Welcome to  BP @Wasim Almashhadani !!!!

I am also a new member here but the community here is awesome. Deff best way to start is to search on this site for what books to read, and read them while listening to the podcasts. Need the educational foundation, while rebuilding your credit. If you need advice, feel free to message me on here and I can give you some advice on how to do that.

Enjoy and Best of luck!

Mike G.

Hello @Wasim Almashhadani . Welcome to Bigger Pockets! 

I recommend starting by researching your area.  Choose a market and a type of property you want to pursue and then work on defining your goals. Specific and measurable goals are best.  Meeting other folks in your area and sharing your goals with others will help you connect with the community, and both create value for others and opportunity for you.

I would be interested to hear @Paulette Midgette suggestions for you to market yourself to investors. Paulette, would you be willing to share with us as well? I agree that construction experience is super valuable in REI And that it puts you in a great position to make yourself invaluable to an investor or even a handful of them.

My recommendation for making yourself invaluable, is to try to imagine the best assistant in the world, examine what exactly makes such a person so valuable, and then go be that person for someone who can teach you the ropes.

Just as an example: The ideal carpenter's helper would always be to the job site 15 minutes early. They'd anticipate your needs and have the tools and materials you need for the task at hand.  They would work efficiently and have phenomenal follow-through to get the task done. They would have a great attitude and real enthusiasm for the work. On top of that, they'd be an incredible communicator and always let you know how things are going and what remains to be done.

Whether they are a busy manager or a busy real estate investor, EVERYONE is hoping for this person to walk through the door. It can be a total win-win.

Lastly, I would also recommend reading "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" by Gary Keller and definitely listening to the BP podcasts, and attending the BP webinars. There is some good stuff about how your success is on the other side of fear.

Best of luck to you!

Hello All,

@Garrett M., I would be more than happy to share a few of my ideas.  Garrett your recommendation was on the money and I totally agree with setting expectations and your image when working with investors, or anyone for that fact.

My ideas are along the lines of partnerships and how to possibly use them to generate capital (I agree with @Troy S., there is really no such thing as buying with no money) to venture out on your own or to rebuild that credit.  Keep in mind you will need some money out of your pocket for these suggestions.

1.  Piggybacking on Garret's recommendation.  Hire yourself out to investors.  Do a great job the first time out.  Let your investor know that you are interested in the RE business and you want to learn and your looking for partnerships.

2.  Offer the investor a partnership.  You do the carpentry (no cost for labor or materials).  The investor knows you and your work.  You have completed a couple of rehabs with him/her and you saved some of the money from these jobs to put into the materials.  In exchange the investor will give you a percentage  of the profits from the sale of the house. The investor will be able to rehab the home with very little money out of pocket (depending on the amount of work needed) and this could be a big plus for him...freeing up funds to put into another project.  The drawback for you is that you won't see any money until the property is sold, but you have worked out a deal with the investor in that you will get a higher percentage from the profits when the house sells, than you would have if he/she simply paid you up front.  The higher percentage is justified because you will wait longer to get paid.  Also, you don't want to wait forever for your money, so I would put a timeframe around when the house must sell, and if it doesn't within that time they would pay you for the work you did and maybe some type of servicing fee would be added to cover the time you waited for payment. 

2.  Become the general contractor for your investor.  Again, you have  worked a few jobs with him/her and have made yourself invaluable.  When the job is complete and your investor offers you payment, you say to him/her that instead of taking the payment you would like to invest the money with the investor to purchase the next deal(flip or wholesale) and work with him/her on their next deal.  So, this could be a double return.  You invest in the purchase of the next property and once sold you will receive a percentage of the sale and you will also work on their next project in which you will be paid as the GM or as part of the construction crew.

The key to these partnerships is to establish yourself as a reliable, hardworking, honest craftsman.  Now, this would work with anything you do in the business for which payment is made.  Investors need people to do what they don't have the time or desire to do.  You can offer your goffering skills, become the assistant, become whatever that person needs. 

I hope this helps.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.