Free Annual Credit Report

6 Replies

Hello BP Family. I finished reading the Beginner's Guide and started reading "The Book on Flipping Houses" by J. Scott. In Chapter 2 "Get Your Finances In Order" it states to get your credit report at www.freecreditreport.com. I found that it cost a fee to see my credit report and to get my score. I instead went to www.annualcreditreport.com, here I got my credit report from all three companies, Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. This was good for me because it gave me a breakdown of my credit summary, who inquired about my credit, negative balances and my debt to ratio.  I didn't bother checking my credit score since looking at the report I could pretty much figure out that my score should be between the 600-700's.  What I did learn that during the purchasing of my car when the dealer was "looking" for a company to give me credit he checked six companies! That's six companies checking my credit report! When I moved here from NYC I changed my phone carrier, another credit check, I opened a credit union account, another credit check, I think you get the idea.  The annual credit report is FREE every year. I suggest newbies, like me, get it.  It's a great eye-opener and it will also help with constructing your Financial Resumes.  I'm continuing the rest of the year, reading, listening to the podscasts, participating in the webinars, and networking, and paying down my last debt, my car. I just wanted to post this information for any newbies who didn't know that you can get your credit report for FREE annually. What I learned it that you gotta know your numbers if you're going to get into this business seriously. My good friend Regina use to tell me, "If you can't manage the money you have now, how are you going to manage millions?" 

Originally posted by @Poet Mior :

Hello BP Family. I finished reading the Beginner's Guide and started reading "The Book on Flipping Houses" by J. Scott. In Chapter 2 "Get Your Finances In Order" it states to get your credit report at www.freecreditreport.com. I found that it cost a fee to see my credit report and to get my score. I instead went to www.annualcreditreport.com, here I got my credit report from all three companies, Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. 

Hi Poet -

Yes, this is a known (big) mistake in my book.  Not sure how I mixed up the two sites, especially given that I get my free credit report every quarter from annualcreditreport.com.  That will be fixed in the next revision of the book, and thank you for pointing it out here so others get the benefit of the information!

J you need to put in your books ( Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed ) cya, cya, cya.

lol

If someone wants the credit scores the agencies with the free reports usually offer something like for an additional 5 dollars ( it varies) they can give you the score. Some states have additional laws on the books where you get a free credit report more than once a year. So federal might give you one and then the state says you get another for 2 a year free.

You have to check with your area. You can also request a tri-merge credit report for free sometimes from a mortgage lender to see your report and scores. The downside is you cannot dispute information with those reports. The agencies want to make money so require you have a conformation number to log into their site to dispute.    

Originally posted by @J Scott:
Originally posted by @Poet Mior:

Hello BP Family. I finished reading the Beginner's Guide and started reading "The Book on Flipping Houses" by J. Scott. In Chapter 2 "Get Your Finances In Order" it states to get your credit report at www.freecreditreport.com. I found that it cost a fee to see my credit report and to get my score. I instead went to www.annualcreditreport.com, here I got my credit report from all three companies, Experian, Equifax, and Transunion. 

Hi Poet -

Yes, this is a known (big) mistake in my book.  Not sure how I mixed up the two sites, especially given that I get my free credit report every quarter from annualcreditreport.com.  That will be fixed in the next revision of the book, and thank you for pointing it out here so others get the benefit of the information!

@J Scott didn't know it was already posted in forum but glad corrections will be made in future books. I'm still learning a lot from reading the book. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

annualcrediteeport.com is the site that supplies a free report each year. Look up credit karma website to learn more, and get a good idea of your "score". And, some credit card issuers are supplying credit scores now with their statements. 

Originally posted by @Steve Babiak :

annualcrediteeport.com is the site that supplies a free report each year. Look up credit karma website to learn more, and get a good idea of your "score". And, some credit card issuers are supplying credit scores now with their statements. 

The Discover Card also give you your credit score. They seem to be making it easier to keep up with your credit information, which is goof for your Financial Resume.

Please understand there are multiple versions of credit scores.  Ultimately it depends on which scoring model the company is using that will determine your current score. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here