Becoming a Notary

4 Replies

So I've been thinking of becoming a notary to plan out some additional income besides my rental properties, hopefully propelling me closer to the day I can quit my job and to REI full time! Any tips on this? Once I would get my license, how do I find work? What could I expect to make each time I close someone? Also, when I close on my own properties, can I be my own notary?

Thanks!

notary? aren't they just $1 per stamp and any bank can do it for free if you have an account with them?

I personally have looked into becoming a notary.  Mainly so I can do the work for myself and not have to go to a bank or anything, however my job has notaries that work for me for free.  The cost is around $500 to get started depending on what company you look at. I would look at this a little deeper before diving head first into it.  You can charge around $20.00 per transaction, but then you have to record everything.  I'm not trying to steer you away from this, but the income for it unless you have a line out of your door isn't really worth it.

I'm a notary and I give that service away for free. It's not hard to find, it's not really necessary and it's just not that valuable. 

I could charge a fee to notarize where I work and I still do it for free LOL 

I think people could make money on notary in decades past but I don't see how it could be profitable in the slightest anymore.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Collins :

I personally have looked into becoming a notary.  Mainly so I can do the work for myself and not have to go to a bank or anything, however my job has notaries that work for me for free.  The cost is around $500 to get started depending on what company you look at. I would look at this a little deeper before diving head first into it.  You can charge around $20.00 per transaction, but then you have to record everything.  I'm not trying to steer you away from this, but the income for it unless you have a line out of your door isn't really worth it.

you can't do anything for yourself. it's one of the rules. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.