Should I quit my job?

5 Replies

I need some advice about my situation.

My name is Rob, I'm from the UK and I'm 18. I have very safe job as a cartographer (map drawer) that pays a very low salary. I still live with my mother so my monthly expenditure is very low and I am saving a fair amount of money. I know I could keep and work this job for a very long time. There are very few promotion opportunities within my company and judging by the cars in the car park, the money isn't there either. 

My Dad has worked as an independent builder all his life. He either buys one house, knocks it down and builds two or develops from scratch. He got burned in 2008 and the opportunities haven't been available for some years. He will be confirming purchase of a plot of land in two weeks and it will take him roughly 6 months to build the house on his own.

So should I, keep my low paying and very secure job with the knowledge that there will always be a full time job for me at the company or  should I ask if I can help my Dad build the house to find myself without a job in 6 months time?

please ignore this post. it is an accidental duplicate.

What are you goals in life?  That's what you need to figure out.  If your current job will satisfy you and is safe, why leave?  If you want more than that job can provide long term then you need to start looking elsewhere.

I myself wouldn't quit until I had the next opportunity lined up.

With such low fixed costs, why not build your experience? You're young, you've got food and housing and a free apprenticeship, go for it!

You can likely find another low-paying job if you need to.

Sounds to me like your in a good spot to start and have no reason to quit your job until the next train is ready to leave and you have a ticket and a pocket full of money and the knowledge you will need to continue the trip. 

You already have one great team member in place, and if you have a true desire you are on your way. You now need to learn how to find and evaluate deals, until you can do that keep on drawing. When you can do that well you are almost to the next station and can buy a new ticket at the next station for your next destination and before you know it you will one day be buying a ticket for your final stop. 

I would really like to be more specific but I know nothing of the UK and it's current ways. Last time my family had anything to do with England was was when they were trying to keep them out of our yard, Scotland. 

@Robert Cornish without thinking about the risk, possible outcomes, scenarios or anything and I asked you "what do you want to do with your life?" How would you answer that? Whatever your answer is do that now. Now is the time in your life when you have the least to lose, go for whatever you want.

If your answer is not to be a cartographer or a builder then do neither of those but plan on quitting anyway and pursue whatever it is that comes to your mind first when you answer the question.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.