Home Inspections

7 Replies

Home Inspections?

How Much Are You paying for a home inspection? 

Do you follow up with the same home inspector or get a different one?

In my area $300+ depending on size and square footage of property. I have 3 real good home inspectors whom I trust. Here in my state you do not need any qualifications to be a home inspector so you hold the good ones near and dear.

@Lisa Kohl here in NYS you have to be licensed and go through 140 hours 100 class training and 40 field hours 

I appreciate the feed back

I have one for in VA that I have used and will continue to in this region (VA/DC/MD). His inspections are $400, but he gives me a lifetime "warranty" if you will. Meaning, he takes 4 hours to go through houses with me and provides me with a binder ed up inspection with pictures and barative. I can call home as long as I own the property.

Excessive? Perhaps. But I like that. I've never called him either.

I hope that helps.

@Michael Roy I have looked into inspectors reports and they have grading scales of inspections. From a simple inspections with no photos. To a full analysis. Then it depends if you add termite checks,radon and asbestos.

That is a good amount of time he spent. There are scandalous individuals in every step of the process. But quality work speaks for itself. You are fortunate and receiving first priority is essential.

Hi Christopher,

I see this post is a few months old but I wanted to see if you ever received a detailed answer pertaining to New York. I'm the business manager for Mountain Valley Inspections, NYS licensed and insured home inspection company. We serve the Hudson Valley and Catskill regions of New York. 

First off, thank you for reflecting upon the fact that inspectors in New York need to be licensed. It's the law and inspectors go through many hours of training to be licensed. The most effective inspectors have also been in the field for many years before becoming an inspector. MVI's lead inspector was a carpenter and worked in the field for almost twenty years before becoming an inspector. He also has a background in environmental science. Home inspectors shouldn't be coming from software engineering and Inspecting your home. So previous experience is key.

As for price, it'll vary depending on where you're buying. Inspectors near the city tend to charge more. Some charge by sq footage, some charge by sale price of home. Each company has a different pricing structure. Like anything, you don't want the cheap guy underbidding everyone for work, chances are you'll get what you pay for. You also don't want to pay the highest rate either. In the Hudson Valley region, inspections tend to start at $400 and go up from there. For a 2000sq ft house, you're looking at around $500 more or less if it has a garage. Our company does additional services such as radon testing (super important in NY), water testing, and septic dye. Those services are additional and not part of a home inspection. But we offer discounts if a client orders multiple services with a home inspection. 

There's different report styles. Checklist and narrative being the most common. If an inspector isn't giving pictures... Probably should run. We use a narrative/checklist report that touches on the main components of the home checked during the inspection. It's about 30-40 pages long. 

II hope this info is helpful. If you're investing in our service area, feel free to contact us. Http://www.MountainValleyInspections.com

Originally posted by @Christopher Rodriguez :

@Lisa Kohl here in NYS you have to be licensed and go through 140 hours 100 class training and 40 field hours 

I appreciate the feed back

Which means little or nothing, Chris. You can't learn to truly inspect a home in that amount of time.

As a GC who also buys and sells homes, I'm appalled at some of the cluelessness I see displayed in reports from home inspectors who have to go through a similar licensing course in our state. 

If you can find a home inspector who was in construction himself and retired after years of doing it himself, that's going to be a good guy to work with. However you find one, when you find a good home inspector, hang onto him if you're a frequent buyer. Good ones are very valuable.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.