House Hacking

1 Reply

I want to purchase a small property. Two to four units, and live in one while renting out the other(s). The problem is I don't have the best credit to get a loan, and I don't have any money to put down. I know it probably sounds crazy, but does anyone have any ideas on how I can get this done?

@Emilee Steers

Truthfully, you are in an unenviable position. Having money for the first deal is a really good way to develop some credibility. Credit scores are a different issue, as they definitely take some time to remedy.

The approach from here is usually to syndicate a deal with private money. Basically getting other people to invest in your project. As a private money investor, I would not invest in someone without a track record. As a result, your best bet will be a friends and family round. Think of people you know who could get in on the deal, provide real value, and try to put down some money (5-10%, whatever). A little bit of money clues everyone that you have skin in the game.

For many private investors, access to funds is not a problem. Trust is a problem. If you can provide that trust and really deliver, then you can make it happen.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you