If you told each of your prospects after your first meeting...

3 Replies

... and you've presented your offer, 'now I don't want you to do anything you will regret so I'll recommend you take 24hrs to think it over and consult with your family/friends if necessary but if you know what you're doing and want to get this over with right here right now by all means let's move forward with this(then push the paper forward)' how successful would you be? Would it be worth your time?

I just don't see myself sitting across the some lady's dinner table gripping a pen staring through to her soul hell-bent on success at all costs ya know? I have to be truthful with my "rapport building".  How do you finalize your offer?

Ha. I think you watch too many real estate shows on HGTV. In my experience people don't sit down at the dining room table and craft an offer. Typically you would view a property, then if you are dealing with the seller directly you might come to some basic verbal terms and exchange contact info. The offer would be emailed over or maybe even dropped off the next day. You would give him 24-36 hours to accept. Maybe things are different in Florida but I have never sat down with a Seller and written an offer like that. 

Glad to see you feel that way. Getting the deal under control is one issue, Cleaning out someones financial closet is another. I've seen investors strut around like peacocks because they hit a grand slam and cleared someones piggy bank of every single penny and future pennies during the worst period in the sellers life, and left them with nothing. 

Unlike most investors, I kept track of some, not every one, of these sellers and if I had been very lucky in a deal I shared that excess bonanza with a deserving seller. Some times there was no bonanza but sometimes I could help them get restarted if they had the character to stand up and "hunker down" 

There are a few times I surprised a seller showing up at escrow by saying M/M seller, things didn't go as I expected and I want to change the sales price from x to y. First the look of panic, then the realization they were getting a higher price. My parents would have beaten me to death if I had taken advantage of someone who deserved better and needed help. They didn't want any of their kids to one of those greedy banker types, or other swindler types in the old movies. 

When my father died and we were at the funeral, person after person stepped up to declare how he had helped them during a crises. He never once said anything to any of us of these acts. The only thing he ever said was a good deed has it's own reward when we did a good deed. I don't know if my mother even knew, but after 55 years of marriage I'm sure she did, but she had died four years earlier so we couldn't ask.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.