Book Recommendations??

3 Replies

Hello All!

I'm in the process of getting my real estate license and planning on getting involved in real estate investments in the near future. Does anyone have good book recommendations that are 1) good study guides for the real estate licensing exam? and 2) good references for those starting off in the real estate business?

Also, has anyone ever gone this route, meaning got their license, learned the business and then started investing?

Any offers are appreciated!

Thanks!

Arica H.

I got my real estate license after I had been doing this for 5 years.....buying, rehabbing, personally owning property, managing dozens of tenants, recycling capital through lenders, negotiating contracts, worrying and planning.

I didn't get a license any sooner because I could represent someone with a straight face that I knew what I was doing.

Frank

As a newbie/student, of the whole REI thing my self, I would recommend the Millionaire Real Estate Investor, by Gary Keller. I have learned a lot going through that book about investing in real estate, things I would have never thought of. He also has another book in the same series called The Millionaire Real Estate Agent, which I haven't read but have heard good things. I've also started reading another one of the books in the series called flip, based on a recommendation from a fellow BP member. Honestly though if you just jump on BP a few times a day, ask questions, and read forum posts that interest you, you'll learn a ridiculous amount, and even meet some great people along the way. I've only become interested in REI a few months ago, and I'm amazed at how much information I've taken in. Hope this helps, and best of luck!

For studying purposes I cannot be of much help.  The business side however I can share my favorites. 

I would have to say my favorite book thus far has been The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller.  This book is just packed with information, motivation, and strategies.  There is also one aimed at agents that sounds like it would be perfect for you.  Though I have not read the agent one, I can only imagine it is done with the same quality of work.  Its called The Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller.

Next, I would read @Brandon Turner 's book No or Low Money down.  I suggest this book because it may help you identify which strategies and niches you want to focus on starting out.  

I could go on and on but I think these 3 would be a great start for you.  Also below is a link to a blog about the 21 best real estate books.  My only change to the list would be replace the ABC's of investing with the 10XRule by Grant Cardone.  ABC's seemed a little shallow in terms of useful content however still worth the read down the road.  Grants book, though not specific to real estate, is motivation on steroids and will absolutely benefit your real estate career.   http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14...

PS don't overlook the basic yet very informative Bigger Pockets Beginners Guide, podcasts, and local meetups.   

Hope this helps

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.