How do you approach a lender?

2 Replies

My mother got contact information for a lender from a real estate agent she has worked with before. The agent said she could call him and see how much of a loan she qualified for. The real estate agent knows that I am going to contact him too, but how do you approach them? What information will I need to give him in order to get the quote?

They will have a series of questions for you.  Its normal credit application stuff.  Google 1003 loan application.  That has the questions they will ask.  In addition, you often have to provide a whole stack of paperwork.  In particular, pay stubs and bank statements.  Often other papers, but details will depend on your personal situation.  Don't over think this.  Just call and talk to them.  They can give you a list of what you want and you can get back to them with it.

A Basic list would look like this:

- 2 Years of Tax returns 

- 2-4 Pay Stubs 

- Proof of current employment 

- An Idea of your Credit score

- Length of time with current employer 

- 2-6 months of bank statements

This is not an all inclusive list but will give them a good idea of where you stand.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you