Commercial investing

3 Replies

Hi - after reading up on residential investing, I really like the looks of commercial investing. I found some interesting properties on zillow that have tenants and cash flow. I contacted one of the agents who said the I need 30% up front for those deals. Sounds reasonable. For example there was a gas station that had nice income. I would definitely need private financing to cover the 30% down until the cash flow started pay down the loan. 

Any tips on a good way to start in commcerial? Where to look? What numbers I should be looking at for a good investment? 

@Leland Smith

The couple commercial properties I have bought were with Seller Financing.  Having the seller carry paper gave me the most flexibility.  Since then I have refinanced one of those deals to pull out capital.  That property was a single use office/warehouse.   

Find a problem property on the market that has been sitting for months or years, peel the onion with the owner and get them to like you....

Frank

Any recommendations on where to get a commercial investing loan?

There are hard money lenders out there that can be useful. You will pay for the money but if the cash flow is present it gives you the start you are looking for. Be careful they are expensive. There are a bunch out there to choose from

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.