Seller wants to know how I got their info?

3 Replies

Seller letters to people behind on taxes. When they ask how I got their information, what do I tell them? Do I tell them that I know they are late on taxes?

@Ronda McCormick

Hey Ronda. I wish I remember where I read or heard this from so I can give them credit, but  simply say "its amazing what you can find on the internet these days" and then laugh right after and most people just chuckle with you and say ok. If they ask more I tell them all my leads come from public records so it had to come from that. I have never had a problem since doing this.

We get this all the time and your best bet is to be honest. Our standard response is we use a collection of internet based public resources. And we always tell them we know they're late on their taxes and then quickly follow up with how we can help.

I agree with @Scott Lewis . Be honest! If someone played the "I magic'ed it from the Internet" card on me I'd hang up in a heartbeat. If someone told me that all of that information is public record and they used it to identify me then I'd be more inclined to talk to them.

Medium logoBryan O., Note Capital | http://www.notecapital.us

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you