Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Joe Kling
  • La Puente, CA
Votes |
Looking for a mentor (but I don't ask for one in this post)

Joe Kling
  • La Puente, CA
Posted Jun 15 2015, 08:32

Hey BP

I'm looking to begin flipping houses. I've been doing research and want to make a move as soon as I find a deal warranting investment. 

I was out this weekend going to open houses in order to see what's available in the market I'll be selling into. I saw a lot of lipstick on a lot of pigs. The very last house I went to see was beautiful. It was priced to sell at the heart of the market but it looks like a multi million dollar home (I live in Los Angeles).

I spoke to the showing agent who turned out to be the owner who rehabbed the property. We spoke for only a few minutes but he pointed out that he prides himself on doing foundation up rehabs with exceptional materials and craftsmanship. What he said showed in the property. All the details were impeccable. 

He then went on to explain what he does. At first when he thought I was just a buyer he told me he could be a buyers agent and help me find a deal and advise me on what a good price might be for a property I was looking at. Then I explained what I was trying to do and he said he could be of service by being a general contractor and after we picked out a property, set a rehab budget, he could do the work. 

If someone just mentioned all this I would be skeptical. It sounds like he's trying to be all things to all people. What has me interested is the fact that he was standing in this beautiful home that (based on its middle of the market price) will likely sell this week. His work speaks for itself. So I want to leverage his expertise but I 1) don't want to get taken advantage of, and 2) don't want to come across looking like an idiot to someone who might be able to help me towards my goals. 

Any thoughts on next steps to take with him? How can I ask for his help workout coming across like a sucker he can take advantage of?

Thanks

Loading replies...