James Matheny
  • New Albany, IN
Votes |
What to do with $20,000

James Matheny
  • New Albany, IN
Posted Jun 15 2015, 08:50

Hello BP world,

My name is James Matheny and I am currently living in New Albany, Indiana, directly across the river from Louisville, Kentucky. I am 29 years old and like most everyone on here it is time to stop reading and starting acting but I wanted to use BP's resources to get some input on the route I should take. 

So here is my situation at the moment, I have a steady good paying job that allows me to only work four days a week, I do not currently have any property but I am sitting on $20,000 dollars and a great credit score and want to make it "work for me" (guess what I have read). The options I am looking at are to hack a multifamily using my VA or FHA and live in it for a year and then move on to my next or buy one of the many $30,000-$40,000 homes that needs some TLC in neighborhoods where comps are selling for $120,000+ all day and flip to get 25% down in order to buy a nice multi-plex. If the latter is the best choice should I cash-out refi or sell to recover my money for the next flip? My goal is like most everyones on BP which is to become financially independent. I am aiming to do this through buy and hold rental cash flow but if I need to sell a couple flips in order to get into a position to buy and hold I will.

So glad I made the step to post, really feels good.

Thanks BP community.

James

Loading replies...