Feedback Please

6 Replies

So I am rookie relative to Real Estate investing but I would like some feedback on my current process and some of the issues I foresee facing. Currently I spend an hour a day driving for dollars (seeking out distressed properties). I then take those addresses and scrub them, removing.. 

• Bank Owned 
    • Recently Purchased 
    • Owner Occupied (with up to date taxes paid)
    • Mortgages in the last 8 years or for amounts that are extremely higher than the house could be worth 

I then move the properties that are remaining into a spreadsheet, I have 2 waves of marketing one for the beginning of the month and another for the middle, by July 1st I should have 100 total properties on my spreadsheet. I send mailers out once monthly. Now what about this process would you suggest changing or tightening??

I foresee finding cash buyers and a title company, that will be fine with closing with assignment, once I do secure a deal as an area of opportunity for me right now. 

Any suggestions thanks in advance for whatever feedback you can offer.

And Go Blackhawks!!!!!!

- Jerome 

Hey i just checked out your profile and you are not far from me. I consider my self a new investor but i read on your profile you bought your first property in 2013. You should be giving advice to us newbies looking for guidance out here. And your first property was it a flip or hold? 

@Lane Mccracklin Actually at this point it is my primary residence but I do own it free and clear. What I am looking to do is use the equity I have to push me forward and then in the next 12 months turn it into a rental. 

That's where I'm looking to buy my first property there is a lot of activity and the prices are good to get my feet wet for the first time.  Are you into rehabbing or whole sale?

@Jerome Lanier , I see your plan is to wholesale. I would still keep the REOs in there. If you have the means, double close on those properties.

I used to live in Crete. I'm familiar with the area - it can be hit or miss neighborhood to neighborhood if you are looking at Park Forest or Richton Park. I am under the impression that PF and RP aren't hotspot markets right now. REOs could be a great way to get instant equity.

Removing those other criteria is good.

@Lane Mccracklin  I plan to wholesale until I have enough capital to endure a flip in case there are unexpected cost, which from what I hear there usually are. Ultimately I want to get into buy and hold but that is a little further down the line.  

@Mindy Jensen Thanks for the feedback and I noticed the area does seem to be a little luke warm at best, I'm thinking of expanding my search to include Olympia Fields and Matteson. At the moment both of those areas seem to be more popular. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you