How to start early at 17?

9 Replies

Hi I'm 17 years old, I'm a guy, and I'm getting into real estate because I heard the general process is quite easy starting out and also you can make big bucks. Find a house, talk to mentor, he'll talk to contractors and stuff and give you a price of how much it'll be to fix it, talks to the owner see how much they want, talk to a hard money lender and if they ask for a down payment go to a gap lender. After the house is fixed up talk to my mentor so he can teach me how to find somebody to buy the fixed up house and they'll buy it and you pay everybody off and you get your profit. Is that the general concept of it? Will somebody teach me what to do to start out at 17 years old? Where do I go? What do I do? What steps do I take? Most importantly, how do I just start? Thank you, your help will be much appreciated.

Trevor Thielen it's not that simple. I got in real estate at 19, took me 3 years to do a deal. What you need to do is learn as much as you can. Take the next 4-6 months and just read and listen to anything you can. Podcasts, books, audios, anything. You won't just "find" a mentor. You have to bring something of value to them. Go find a deal, that's how you find a mentor. In the meantime, network like your life depends on it. Don't rely on a mentor to get contractors etc. Find people on BP, look people up in your area. Sit down with one person per week and just ask questions and learn.
Originally posted by @Sam B. :

@Trevor Thielen

Start by finding a local flipper in your area and asking if he needs some grunt-labor work.  Learn from the ground up, prove yourself as a hard worker and then ask him all that stuff you just asked BP.

This is the way to get started.  Also talk to local realtors/brokers they can more than likely tell you who the bigger players are in your area. 

Yes, it took that long. I had no money and any deal i came across something went wrong and it never worked. I learned something in every deal I lost though. Listen to the biggerpockets podcasts, real dealz podcast Read rich dad poor dad, e myth, 10x, Brandon turners books, and j Scott's books. Those are just a few. The average CEO reads 60 books a year. You should try to match that or more. It takes hard work and determination to succeed in real estate. It's not a get rich quick thing
Devan Mcclish I know it is not a get rich quick thing. Is real dealz rich dad poor dad all different things? Or all one? I can't really tell. And yeah, reading is gonna be hard for me. Reading is something I would avoid doing if it wasn't an interesting topic. Ryan W. And yes I'll do that too. I'll ask if there's any work to do for somebody in the business and ask them questions among the way too

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here