Getting Real Estate License! Who would YOU suggest?!?

3 Replies

Greetings All,

DB from Chicago here! Summer is finally here, which means us Educators get a 1.5 month break! 

In the spirit of taking action, one of my goals this summer is to get my real estate license. Chicago and some surrounding suburbs have some accelerated (2week) 90 hour classes to qualify for the state test. 

What companies would YOU suggest?? Coldwell?? B&W? Keller Williams? 

I am NOT looking to become an real estate broker in the traditional form; this is MORE so a tool to have in furthering my knowledge, aiding in bringing down some cost when purchasing, and networking. 

Thanks ALL!!

DB from Chicago

You're much better off working in a small, independent office.  Those big names you mentioned are all going to push the sales angle over your investing.  

@Dyryl Burnett funny you posted this, I was just looking at a licensing class myself.  Primarily as I was listening to a #BPpodcast and it was suggested that if you are low in funds to get your license to learn the market and network.

Also as I have zero practical experience this may help me learn things and maybe even avoid certain closing cost.

As I'm in NYC I'm considering or

@Dyryl Burnett 

I would recommend taking classes at a community college if you can find one close enough that fits your time frame. Otherwise maybe at an independent real estate school. I feel the class room setting is much more beneficial than the web based independent study programs. My experience has been that the interactive classroom setting brings about more critical thinking and awareness. 

To a successful journey,

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you