Multifamily Housing Investment

2 Replies

Hello, I'm new to BP. I've been interested in starting my own investment company. I want to invest in commercial apartment buildings. I'm looking to start with a property with 100-160 units. I need more help on talking to investors and financing.

@Brent Clark

Welcome! You are in the right place to learn! You should look at the webinar replays because @Brandon Turner just did one on "apartment complex investing" and has also done one on "how to attract private money". You would need to upgrade your account to watch the replay I believe, but it's well worth the small monthly charge!

Hey Brent

Welcome to BP

One thing I often hear people say is that single family residences and up to 4 unit homes finance based on the buyers credit worthiness while the larger deals finance based on the merits of the deal. One of the merits of the deal is going to be your experience. So while it might seem easier to just go straight to the large apartment complexes your experience might prohibit you from finding funding. You might want to start off with some smaller units while learning the ins and outs of the business. Do things like listening to the webinars that Josh suggested above while debriefing the experience so that once you have all the knowledge to embark on that kind of transaction you also have the resume to inspire confidence in investors and lenders. 

Good luck. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you