First rental investment: a condo

First rental investment: a condo

Homeowner · MA · Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes

I'm 36, I've done all aspects of construction.
I'm a successful software engineer. Between my wife and me we make about 140K a year. I am the first owner of a 5 year old colonial (460K) put down 90K, pay every two weeks and have a decent amount left over every month.
I'm considering buying a condo (60K) as a start to property investment. I'd put down about 10K get a mortgage for 20 yrs and be looking at 350 a month. In the area of interest (N metro Boston), I see similar units renting for 1000 - 1200 a month, + tax / condo fee (200) giving me about 400 a month income. I'd plan to go in, do the work myself and rent asap.

I also consider multi families, but I can't get them as cheap and not only do I have interior maintenance, I now have exterior as well. It seems that a condo is a _simpler_ place to start in the rental world.

I keep seeing lots of topics on learn the biz then start, but I'd really like to get going, and how do you define "learn the biz?"

Any pros / cons?

If I don't get started with something like this, I know I'll really regret it in the future. (Granted I may regret it anyway) but I'm more of a try and fail rather than not try at all kinda person.

Thanks for any advice.

0Reply
54 views

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    Welcome Cliff to BiggerPockets!
    I would say that you should make sure you know the market, so that you are fully aware of the market prices on a retail basis. You will want to focus on paying far less than the retail on these investments, whether they be condos, single family or multi family properties. Buying right is the best way to insure a good investment.

    If you buy a condo, make sure you get to see the association meeting meinutes and budget, so you can know what;s been going on - Do they have decent reserves in case of emergency repairs, like to the roof or siding? How many of the condos are rentals and how many owner occupied? Is the association management good? Are there any foreclosed units? When a condo is foreclosed many times the remaining owners bear the brunt of the loss and pay higher expenses.

    I would suggest reading alot of the posts on this site, and start putting together a plan based on the type of investing strategies you feel the most comfortable with. When youi feel educated enough, then take the plunge and start making offers on deals. You will "learn the biz" by doing. Good luck, Mike

  • Homeowner · chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "chupper":
    I'm 36, I've done all aspects of construction.
    I'm a successful software engineer. Between my wife and me we make about 140K a year. I am the first owner of a 5 year old colonial (460K) put down 90K, pay every two weeks and have a decent amount left over every month.
    I'm considering buying a condo (60K) as a start to property investment. I'd put down about 10K get a mortgage for 20 yrs and be looking at 350 a month. In the area of interest (N metro Boston), I see similar units renting for 1000 - 1200 a month, + tax / condo fee (200) giving me about 400 a month income. I'd plan to go in, do the work myself and rent asap.

    I also consider multi families, but I can't get them as cheap and not only do I have interior maintenance, I now have exterior as well. It seems that a condo is a _simpler_ place to start in the rental world.

    I keep seeing lots of topics on learn the biz then start, but I'd really like to get going, and how do you define "learn the biz?"

    Any pros / cons?

    If I don't get started with something like this, I know I'll really regret it in the future. (Granted I may regret it anyway) but I'm more of a try and fail rather than not try at all kinda person.

    Thanks for any advice.

    Join a Real Estate Investment Club in your area.
  • Real Estate Coach · Oakton, VA · Member since 2008 · 695 posts · 43 votes
    18y

    I would not make your first investment a condo. I would invest in townhomes and single family homes only (for residential).

    Condos are tougher to rent out, the condo dues eat into the cash flow and and if you have a bad association it can make life miserable.

    However, if you do buy a condo make sure it is a 3 bedroom......never buy a 1 or 2 bedroom.

  • Homeowner · chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    18y

    Condos are good because they are cheap. One bedroom means you can rent without children, less wear and tear. Most maintenance is already taken care of.

  • Member since 2008 · 1 post · 0 votes
    18y

    $400 profit.

    How about property taxes? Utilities (electric)? Insurance?

  • Homeowner · chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    18y
    Originally posted by "rentrent":
    $400 profit.

    How about property taxes? Utilities (electric)? Insurance?

    Tenant pays utilities (electric). Insurance and water is included in maintenance. Property taxes need paying. Price of 1 bd condo is really cheap when compared to SFR or townhouse.

    Rent to section 8 physically challenged person and you have great tenant long term. You make the money on the buy. In this market with so many preforeclosure and foreclosures, it should be relatively easy to pick something up that will cash flow.

    Biggest downfall IMHO, they don't appreciate nearly as fast as SFRs.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 691 posts · 12 votes
    18y

    Taxes would probably be escrowed in the mortgage payment or in the Association fee, as would insurance. The tenant would have to pay for electric.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.