property managers

5 Replies

Hi all- 

just starting out…where/how do I find a good property manager in my  

area? (Tampa Bay).

Also, what should I specifically looking for? what do I need to avoid? 

what do I need to ask?

thanks!

Carlos Cartaya

Hi @Carlos Cartaya

A bad property manager can ruin a great investment and a great property manager can turn a very mediocre one into a cash cow. 

Amongst other things, your management company should be responsible for:

• Liaising with your tenant
  • Ensuring they pay on time
  • Organizing any repairs necessary
  • Communicating with you on a regular basis
  • Paying you the balance of your rent
  • Providing monthly statements
  • Placing new tenants.

• A professional who manages your portfolio and your tenants well over a number of years is worth his or her weight in gold. The majority of property managers charge additional fees for placing a new tenant or renewing the lease of an existing tenant, so you should make yourself aware of these and input them into your calculations.

Your property manager is your eyes and ears on the ground so it is very important that you develop a good working relationship with them. They work for you so do not be afraid to ask questions and seek advice, but be polite and respectful.

Make sure your management company has a track record of keeping both tenants and landlords happy. Make sure they know the areas you are looking at. Request references from other investors and ask for a copy of their license.

Good luck! 

I am assuming single family homes?  

In my opinion, you match the asset class to the manager. I see single family managers take on commercial and I cringe at how they handle the properties. I have never seen a commercial manager try to take on SFR's, but if they did, I would think the results would be equally bad. Multifamily +50 units is a specialty all on its own. There is a lot of overlap in the smaller multi's and single families, though.

Can anyone send me property managers that a reputable in the Northern Virginia area? 

I have one I highly recommend, been using him for 10 years and he covers Port Richey to Sarasota, just PM me for details

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
    • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
    • Learn how to get started with or without money,
    • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
    • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.