Which career option would help most with REI?

10 Replies

Hello BP,

I am a 22 year old college student currently pursuing a business degree. I work a full time job as a Valet Supervisor and make around 30k+ per year. I really want to get into real estate investing but my income and lack of experience is a hindrance on me. I have been considering  getting into a real estate focused career such as Property or Community management. My question to the community is if I am looking to learn about properties and management to help with my investments which route would you recommend? I do not want to become a real estate agent simply because I do not have a nest egg to fall back on or a well off family to support me. I need something that pays a salary while I learn.

Thank you for your suggestions!

- Adaryll

my own experience is in construction which I have found very useful. I am looking more at flipping but these skills can be useful in buy and hold properties as well. 

@Adam McCarty Definitely makes sense. So something like general contracting? or more of like a specific area of construction?

Hi Adaryll,

Working at a property management company is a great way to expose yourself to the industry. But you don't necessarily have to do all that. There are meetup groups and with all the information that is here on BP it's enough to go at it on your own if you have the guts. Find a good agent, they will be a very valuable resource for you. Good luck man!

I am a licensed electrician but really any type of construction could help you. Just knowing how to do some of this stuff really helps.  

I would probably opt towards property management.  While being a GC might save more money starting out, I find it to also be a larger time commitment. This give you less time to work on your business. However there will be opportunities to do both given the seasonality of contracting and being able take jobs a you please. However when it comes to your career you should just do what you love and maximize your dollars, and  sub jobs out to seasoned pros just ask a lot of questions. Over time the experience will come.

@Adam McCarty I can definitely see the value in having the hands on experience with construction.  Especially when buying flip properties and foreclosures because it would allow you to cut labor costs on the repairs. It also would give you an idea of the cost to repair or renovate a possibly purchase. 

@Richard Jeffries Yeah the reason I considered Property / Community management is because I want to continue in  full time job that will allow me to learn about real estate while earning.  By working in RE while learning about investing I surround myself with everything RE and it will allow it to become second nature. 

Originally posted by @Adaryll Gandy Jr :

Hello BP,

I am a 22 year old college student currently pursuing a business degree. I work a full time job as a Valet Supervisor and make around 30k+ per year. I really want to get into real estate investing but my income and lack of experience is a hindrance on me. I have been considering  getting into a real estate focused career such as Property or Community management. My question to the community is if I am looking to learn about properties and management to help with my investments which route would you recommend? I do not want to become a real estate agent simply because I do not have a nest egg to fall back on or a well off family to support me. I need something that pays a salary while I learn.

Thank you for your suggestions!

- Adaryll

I stumbled into Property Management years ago as a Leasing Consultant and found that it definitely lends itself to Buy and Hold investing.  Starting in leasing gives you an opportunity to earn competitive base pay and commission while you learn so many aspects of MFH.  Just my two cents:)

@Travis L. Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to look into it as a viable option moving forward! 

Thank you everybody! I had the very same question as Adaryll had, but thanks to BP forums and its community I have my question answered already! I too am looking for a job that would also help me learn about real estate while I earn. I am more on the buy and hold strategy and have been looking at working for a property management company. I wish you all the best!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here