First flip just purchased

2 Replies

I am new to the site and new to investing.  It is someting I have always wanted to do, I finally got the courage to step out of the boat and sink or swim.  I am not handy (at all) so I did hire a contractor, who I think is pretty good...(I'm only about 1/2 way thru the reno.)  So for those of you who have used a contractor are there any signs or catch phrases I need to be on the look out for so I don't get taken?  Kind of an ambiguous question I know, but I could use any good advice.  I like the contractor, but he is also in charge of where my money goes...

You are in charge of where your money goes ,  everything should be on the contract

Definitely have a written rehab list of some kind for them when you agree to the price, since you are halfway through the reno already I hope you did that. Make sure he knows you will be "inspecting what you expect" at the end and will make a punch list, if needed, for him. Also if he tries to throw extra big ticket items at you in the middle of it, don't be afraid to simply say that you want to get a second opinion before saying yes. 

Good luck with the flip! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here