Another "Quit My Job" Story

Another "Quit My Job" Story

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes

Well, today was my last day at my day job! It wasn't necessarily done to start investing full-time, but hear me out. 

My girlfriend and I are packing up and moving from Chicago to LA. Chasing after some warm weather, sunshine, and oceans, mountains, and deserts. Not exactly the ideal real estate investing market, however. 

We are both photographers and will be continuing to do freelance work out there. On the real estate side, I'm assembling a team in Chicago to be my boots on the ground for my new wholesaling operation. I've been working on an automated wholesaling system in Podio to streamline the process for everyone on my team and get deals closed. I've found it's too easy for leads to slip through the cracks and bottlenecks to occur when everything and everyone relies on me to do simple things. I have a good handle on the Chicago market and think this will be a great success. In fact, I need it to be a great success. I've given myself time by quitting my job in order to make this happen and I've given myself an ultimatum of sorts by signing a lease in LA (expensive, to say the least). Sometimes a little pressure is good and I'm not one to shy away from the hustle.

My boss also said he'd give me as much work as I wanted and able to do while working remotely, so that may help ends meet while working on closing my first deal. I have some cash in reserves for marketing and am ready to hit the ground running! 

Cheers!

7Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
11y

Congrats on the move to sunny southern Cali!! I currently live in Chicago now and would love to be on your buyer's list. Thanks. 

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Daniel I.

    Congratulations!  That is a big step and glad you are taking the plunge!

  • Investor · Leauge City, TX · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    well Daniel. Sometimes you have to burn your bridges and don't give yourself an outlet except succeeding! You will for sure need to have you game on all the time but I'll be pushing for you and your family. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    congrats and good luck to you!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Brie Schmidt @Dominique Grayson @Sherri Southwell Thank you all! I'm excited for what lies ahead.

  • Bartlett, IL · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    I'm from Chicago, and would love to help with your wholesaling business
  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Adrian Olinski Awesome, man! Shoot me an email at the address in my signature.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Congrats on the move to sunny southern Cali!! I currently live in Chicago now and would love to be on your buyer's list. Thanks. 

  • Investor · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 755 posts · 462 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Daniel I.:

    ...My girlfriend and I are packing up and moving from Chicago to LA... 

    ...I'm assembling a team in Chicago to be my boots on the ground for my new wholesaling operation.

    You're moving to LA to start a RE wholesaling business in Chicago...

    I would of never thought of that.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    congrats

    " We are both photographers and will be continuing to do freelance work "

    That a very nice back up resource for income.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Yen-Chih Tsai:

    Congrats on the move to sunny southern Cali!! I currently live in Chicago now and would love to be on your buyer's list. Thanks. 

     You got it! I'll be in touch.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop:
    Originally posted by @Daniel I.:

    ...My girlfriend and I are packing up and moving from Chicago to LA... 

    ...I'm assembling a team in Chicago to be my boots on the ground for my new wholesaling operation.

    You're moving to LA to start a RE wholesaling business in Chicago...

    I would of never thought of that.

     It seems counter-intuitive and may be counter-intuitive, but if you think about building a scalable business model, this is one way to force that. For it to be successful in my eyes, it must be efficient. It must be streamlined. It must not completely rely on one person to operate.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ramon Jenkins:

    congrats

    " We are both photographers and will be continuing to do freelance work "

    That a very nice back up resource for income.

     Thanks, man. The goal is to do more commercial work. We currently shoot weddings and will continue some of that out there as well.

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2015 · 769 posts · 279 votes
    11y

    Congrats.  I plan on starting my own thread w a similar title in the next three years.  Looking forward to that day. 

  • Investor, Realtor, Writer, Podcaster · Billings, MT · Member since 2013 · 175 posts · 97 votes
    11y
    I do virtual wholesaling myself. It's the perfect lifestyle business.
  • Wholesaler · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 66 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Daniel I.

  • Investor · Wesley Chapel, FL · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 4 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Daniel I.:

    ...I've been working on an automated wholesaling system in Podio to streamline the process for everyone on my team and get deals closed. I've found it's too easy for leads to slip through the cracks and bottlenecks to occur when everything and everyone relies on me to do simple things. I have a good handle on the Chicago market and think this will be a great success...

    Hi Daniel (and everyone who reads this),

    I love the tenacious spirit you envoke as you set your sails in high wind seeking out success!! You mentioned something that has caught my attention. I'm a newbie investor and I've considered the concept of automating. How are you using Podio to make deals? Is this a system that can be duplicated? Also, attending local real estate meet ups have been impactful to me. If you're looking for ways to engage your team in your local market, it may be something to consider. If you are already attending these types of meetings then kudos to you and your team!! I appreciate you sharing this because your story has given me inspiration with new thoughts on creating a scalable business and not something that simply relies on one person. I'm learning more about automating now and am curious to hear your success about it. Cheers to following the beat to your own drum!!!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Shane H. More power to you, man. Good luck!

    @Nancy Brook Brilliant! I'm glad you are having success with that.

    @Henry Moore Thanks!

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Roberta James:
    Originally posted by @Daniel I.:

    ...I've been working on an automated wholesaling system in Podio to streamline the process for everyone on my team and get deals closed. I've found it's too easy for leads to slip through the cracks and bottlenecks to occur when everything and everyone relies on me to do simple things. I have a good handle on the Chicago market and think this will be a great success...

    Hi Daniel (and everyone who reads this),

    I love the tenacious spirit you envoke as you set your sails in high wind seeking out success!! You mentioned something that has caught my attention. I'm a newbie investor and I've considered the concept of automating. How are you using Podio to make deals? Is this a system that can be duplicated? Also, attending local real estate meet ups have been impactful to me. If you're looking for ways to engage your team in your local market, it may be something to consider. If you are already attending these types of meetings then kudos to you and your team!! I appreciate you sharing this because your story has given me inspiration with new thoughts on creating a scalable business and not something that simply relies on one person. I'm learning more about automating now and am curious to hear your success about it. Cheers to following the beat to your own drum!!!

     The way I'm doing it, I create an app for each stage of the wholesaling process. Using third-party software like Globiflow and Zapier, I can automate processes to keep things super simple. One click and you have a custom purchase contract created in PDF form. Another click and you have it emailed to the seller or uploaded to Lob to be sent in the mail. One click and you pull all your buyers who buy within that zip code. When you're new, I've found it's easy to get caught up in each little step that has to be done and overwhelmed with it all, so this breaks it down and keeps everyone on track.

     It's totally a system that can be replicated. PM if you would like some help.

  • Flipper / Rehabber / Real Estate Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 392 posts · 77 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Daniel I.

    Keep all of us Chicago investors informed of your progress and adventure... and maybe more importantly on your buyer's list.  :)

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 261 votes
    11y

    Wow @Daniel I.

    I like what you are doing. I am hoping to get there in the next couple of years myself. As of now im keeping the W2 to help with financing rentals. Good luck to you and i hope it works out well.

    P.S. Wedding photography is quite lucrative. I am in the process of hiring one for my own wedding and man those prices kill me.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    11y

    @Daniel I.

    No better time than right now!  Best of luck and you sure can't beat S. Cal weather! 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 354 posts · 98 votes
    11y

    @Daniel I.  Congratulations on making the big move!  Where in Los Angeles are you moving to?  What kind of photography do you do?

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y

    @Larry Smet You got it! I'll definitely keep BP in the loop :)

    @Nnabuenyi Anigbogu Yeah, that W2 sure comes in handy for that. And yes, wedding photography can be lucrative, but most don't take home close to what they charge. If you want any recommendations, I'd be glad to refer some your way.

    @John WeidnerThanks, John! Can't say I'll miss these Chicago winters.

    @Peggy Liu I'll be getting a loft downtown. Mixed bag, DTLA is. In addition to weddings, I shoot lifestyle, commercial, food, etc. Just about anything!

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    Congratulations to you on making such a bold and courageous move!  It's great that your boss is so supportive, and will float you work while you work on your investing.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 72 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Lari A.:

    Congratulations to you on making such a bold and courageous move!  It's great that your boss is so supportive, and will float you work while you work on your investing.

     Indeed it is! I am very fortunate in that regard.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.