Another "Quit My Job" Story

31 Replies

Well, today was my last day at my day job! It wasn't necessarily done to start investing full-time, but hear me out. 

My girlfriend and I are packing up and moving from Chicago to LA. Chasing after some warm weather, sunshine, and oceans, mountains, and deserts. Not exactly the ideal real estate investing market, however. 

We are both photographers and will be continuing to do freelance work out there. On the real estate side, I'm assembling a team in Chicago to be my boots on the ground for my new wholesaling operation. I've been working on an automated wholesaling system in Podio to streamline the process for everyone on my team and get deals closed. I've found it's too easy for leads to slip through the cracks and bottlenecks to occur when everything and everyone relies on me to do simple things. I have a good handle on the Chicago market and think this will be a great success. In fact, I need it to be a great success. I've given myself time by quitting my job in order to make this happen and I've given myself an ultimatum of sorts by signing a lease in LA (expensive, to say the least). Sometimes a little pressure is good and I'm not one to shy away from the hustle.

My boss also said he'd give me as much work as I wanted and able to do while working remotely, so that may help ends meet while working on closing my first deal. I have some cash in reserves for marketing and am ready to hit the ground running! 

Cheers!

well Daniel. Sometimes you have to burn your bridges and don't give yourself an outlet except succeeding! You will for sure need to have you game on all the time but I'll be pushing for you and your family. 

congrats and good luck to you!

I'm from Chicago, and would love to help with your wholesaling business

@Adrian Olinski Awesome, man! Shoot me an email at the address in my signature.

Congrats on the move to sunny southern Cali!! I currently live in Chicago now and would love to be on your buyer's list. Thanks. 

(312) 257-7075
Originally posted by @Daniel Inskeep :

...My girlfriend and I are packing up and moving from Chicago to LA... 

...I'm assembling a team in Chicago to be my boots on the ground for my new wholesaling operation.

You're moving to LA to start a RE wholesaling business in Chicago...

I would of never thought of that.

congrats

" We are both photographers and will be continuing to do freelance work "

That a very nice back up resource for income.

Originally posted by @Yen-Chih Tsai :

Congrats on the move to sunny southern Cali!! I currently live in Chicago now and would love to be on your buyer's list. Thanks. 

You got it! I'll be in touch.

Originally posted by @Richard Dunlop :
Originally posted by @Daniel Inskeep:

...My girlfriend and I are packing up and moving from Chicago to LA... 

...I'm assembling a team in Chicago to be my boots on the ground for my new wholesaling operation.

You're moving to LA to start a RE wholesaling business in Chicago...

I would of never thought of that.

It seems counter-intuitive and may be counter-intuitive, but if you think about building a scalable business model, this is one way to force that. For it to be successful in my eyes, it must be efficient. It must be streamlined. It must not completely rely on one person to operate.

Originally posted by @Jenkins Ramon :

congrats

" We are both photographers and will be continuing to do freelance work "

That a very nice back up resource for income.

Thanks, man. The goal is to do more commercial work. We currently shoot weddings and will continue some of that out there as well.

Congrats.  I plan on starting my own thread w a similar title in the next three years.  Looking forward to that day. 

I do virtual wholesaling myself. It's the perfect lifestyle business.
Originally posted by @Daniel Inskeep :

...I've been working on an automated wholesaling system in Podio to streamline the process for everyone on my team and get deals closed. I've found it's too easy for leads to slip through the cracks and bottlenecks to occur when everything and everyone relies on me to do simple things. I have a good handle on the Chicago market and think this will be a great success...

Hi Daniel (and everyone who reads this),

I love the tenacious spirit you envoke as you set your sails in high wind seeking out success!! You mentioned something that has caught my attention. I'm a newbie investor and I've considered the concept of automating. How are you using Podio to make deals? Is this a system that can be duplicated? Also, attending local real estate meet ups have been impactful to me. If you're looking for ways to engage your team in your local market, it may be something to consider. If you are already attending these types of meetings then kudos to you and your team!! I appreciate you sharing this because your story has given me inspiration with new thoughts on creating a scalable business and not something that simply relies on one person. I'm learning more about automating now and am curious to hear your success about it. Cheers to following the beat to your own drum!!!

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Roberta James :
Originally posted by @Daniel Inskeep:

...I've been working on an automated wholesaling system in Podio to streamline the process for everyone on my team and get deals closed. I've found it's too easy for leads to slip through the cracks and bottlenecks to occur when everything and everyone relies on me to do simple things. I have a good handle on the Chicago market and think this will be a great success...

Hi Daniel (and everyone who reads this),

I love the tenacious spirit you envoke as you set your sails in high wind seeking out success!! You mentioned something that has caught my attention. I'm a newbie investor and I've considered the concept of automating. How are you using Podio to make deals? Is this a system that can be duplicated? Also, attending local real estate meet ups have been impactful to me. If you're looking for ways to engage your team in your local market, it may be something to consider. If you are already attending these types of meetings then kudos to you and your team!! I appreciate you sharing this because your story has given me inspiration with new thoughts on creating a scalable business and not something that simply relies on one person. I'm learning more about automating now and am curious to hear your success about it. Cheers to following the beat to your own drum!!!

The way I'm doing it, I create an app for each stage of the wholesaling process. Using third-party software like Globiflow and Zapier, I can automate processes to keep things super simple. One click and you have a custom purchase contract created in PDF form. Another click and you have it emailed to the seller or uploaded to Lob to be sent in the mail. One click and you pull all your buyers who buy within that zip code. When you're new, I've found it's easy to get caught up in each little step that has to be done and overwhelmed with it all, so this breaks it down and keeps everyone on track.

It's totally a system that can be replicated. PM if you would like some help.

Wow @Daniel Inskeep

I like what you are doing. I am hoping to get there in the next couple of years myself. As of now im keeping the W2 to help with financing rentals. Good luck to you and i hope it works out well.

P.S. Wedding photography is quite lucrative. I am in the process of hiring one for my own wedding and man those prices kill me.

@Daniel Inskeep   Congratulations on making the big move!  Where in Los Angeles are you moving to?  What kind of photography do you do?

415-779-2155

@Larry Smet You got it! I'll definitely keep BP in the loop :)

@Nnabuenyi Anigbogu Yeah, that W2 sure comes in handy for that. And yes, wedding photography can be lucrative, but most don't take home close to what they charge. If you want any recommendations, I'd be glad to refer some your way.

@John Weidner Thanks, John! Can't say I'll miss these Chicago winters.

@Peggy Liu I'll be getting a loft downtown. Mixed bag, DTLA is. In addition to weddings, I shoot lifestyle, commercial, food, etc. Just about anything!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.