Wondering what I can do to give me a step ahead when I'm ready to start investing.

2 Replies

Hi BP!

My name is Peter, and I'm a 19 year old full time college student majoring in finance about to go into my junior year. I'm fortunate enough to have my dad as a mentor/coach as he has his own real estate investing company. He currently has 10 houses that he is renting out and is working one a house right now to flip. I know that my end goal would be to work with my dad and take over his company full time but until I have the time and money I want to prepare myself. 

So what did you guys do while you guys were young and didn't have any capital to start investing, and what do you suggest I do? 

I'm brand new to BP, I just heard of it today and it seems that it's filled with very knowledgeable people with great advice and I'm just curious to see what you would do if you're in my shoes. 

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Peter Rodriguez :

Hi BP!

Welcome to BP! There are many areas of REI to get involved in.

I am a buy and hold investor, so I would start by trying to build your credit.  Get credit cards, charge a small balance, and pay it off every month.  See if your parents can add you to a car loan, ect.

Brie Schmidt, Real Estate Agent in Wisconsin (#57846-90) and Illinois (#471.018287)

Listen to the podcasts.  You'll be hooked.  Treat them like another class that you have to attend once a day (maybe two or three times on a slow day), and you'll get through them soon!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.