Finding a mentor in Minneapolis MN area

4 Replies

Hi All - 

I'm currently plowing through the BP podcasts and reading as much as I can get my hands on. My next step will be to start attending REIA meetings and I'm hoping to find a mentor. I understand that I'll need to add value to my mentor in order to make the relationship win/win. Is attending REIA meetings the best place to find a mentor? Are there other places (in addition to BP) that people have had success?

Welcome @Steve Bauer !

I'm going to follow this post because I'd like to know the same thing. 

There are three regular clubs or meetups in the Twin Cities in addition to MN REIA. See Meetup.com for those three.

Start networking at these events and try to connect with investors who are doing what you want to do. 

Don't ask directly, will you be my mentor... that sounds weird.  But, instead, ask to take the successful wholesaler, landlord, or flipper out for lunch.    Pick their brain about what worked for them and what their business plan is.

The best mentors do not attend a lot of meetings unless they have a teaching element to their business, they want to partner with other people's money, or they have deals to sell.  So your mileage will vary at these types of meetings. 

I am a small time buy/hold investor with only a couple of properties. I am also in the learning mode like you. I would be happy to meet up for coffee or drink and share what has worked for me and what I have learned so far. So feel free to connect

Thanks for the great advice @Marc Jolicoeur .  I think you're spot on about not directly asking someone to be your mentor and going more for the 'let me take you out to lunch' angle.  I'll drop you a note and we can share experiences.  

@Steve Bauer

I would 2nd @Marc Jolicoeur  comments above. In addition, I would say a great way to acquire a mentor would be to bring them a deal. I would guess most investors would be happy to mentor you in addition to paying you for bringing them the deal. The only hard part may be finding this deal!

Cheers, Sawyer 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you