SF or MF House-hack??

3 Replies

Good Evening 

I have an idea of of the strategies I'd like to use for investing, but my situation is a little complex. I'd like to house hack. My initial idea was to purchase a duplex, stay for the yr required for FHA loan, refinance, and repeat. Because I will be housing my mother I will not see cash flow. I have no problem covering the mortgage. Following my plan I'd move after a year. Tenant screening could ensure someone good becomes her new neighbor, but now I am thinking of another approach. I'm thinking, maybe I'll get a house that I can add value to, mom will stay there and I will leave a year later. Next I will house hack a duplex. That way my mom is in a set environment and I'll be the one moving.

Could this work out?

What would you do?

Are you single?

The reason I ask this is because you can get the Duplex and share a unit with your mom for 1 year and rent out the other. That way it will help you save for another investment much quicker with the extra income. Then move

or

Get a distressed triplex and add value to it using an FHA 203K loan.

Updated over 2 years ago

@Amber Koontz

This post has been removed.

@Ricardo S. I am single with no kids. I really like my space, but maybe I'll take that into consideration. It's basically the same deal that would happen if I bought a SF and stayed for a yr. Thanks for a different view. 👍 I have to work on pros and cons.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you