Starting Out and Self Educating

Starting Out and Self Educating

Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hey,

I am 22 years old and just recently moved to Southern California. For many reasons, I have developed the desire to invest in real estate. Being new to California and real estate, I was looking for advice or information to check out that may be viewed as overlooked or not as known sources regarding real estate in general and real estate in California. I have dove into a lot of the "Best Sellers" but I like to read and learn from sources and as well-rounded as a new self-educating investor can be.

Thanks for your time...

0Reply
13 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mineola, NY · Member since 2014 · 838 posts · 212 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP!! a lot to learn here

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP @Derek Kraack !

    Setting up your desired Keywords was the biggest help for me to learn several different things in just a few short days. Feel free to PM me if you every have any questions, I am a SoCal dude myself!

  • Registered Nurse (ICU) · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 332 votes
    11y
    Derek Kraack I live in San Jose and got my start in real estate investing back in October. BP will be your biggest resource moving forward. Use it to network and learn. Find a few mentors and pick there Brains. Lastly I would suggest you look into out of State investing and using a turnkey company to help you. California is an expensive market to start in. I invest in Indianapolis and Birmingham. Good luck to you!
  • Lake Elsinore, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks everyone for the insight and help! I am looking forward to learning as much as I can. @JoelNoel and @ChaseMaher I would love to connect with you to learn more about what you do and how you go about your business in California and going outside of California.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 557 votes
    11y

    Welcome @Derek Kraack!

    Of course, you need to read The Ultimate Beginners Guide to REI here on BP

    If you haven’t already, please read/listen to these books ASAP!

    Flip2freedom episode 77[http://www.flip2freedom.com/a-3-step-formula-to-a-successful-balanced-and-insanely-profitable-2012/] - podcast - LISTEN TO THIS TODAY!

    Rich Dad Poor Dad

    Rich Dads Cash Flow Quadrant

    Rich Dads Increase your financial IQ

    The Real Book of Real Estate

    The ABC’s of RE Investing

    The ABC’s of PM

    Rich Dad RE Tax Advantages

    The 10X Rule

    The E-Myth

    The 4 Hour Work Week

    BiggerPocketsPodCast

    Wholesaling101 You Tube Channel

    Kent Clothier – You Tube Memphs Invest channel

  • Jupiter, FL · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 32 votes
    11y
    I am a newbie but I have gone through quite a bit of the recommended reads/ listens. Everyone is going to tell you to read rich dad poor dad. It is a great book but really its just motivational. E myth is also great but I don't think it is essential to start. I would recommend reading brandon's book on low or no money down first and then learn how to evaluate a property. My logic is you want to know what financing options are available to you then what is a good buy vs a bad buy. If you are looking to buy something in good shape to rent; I would then recommend you look into the Tennant screening articles on the site. If you are looking to flip or buy a property that needs work then go with J. Scott's books. Podcasts are great for the daily commute. I am not a big fan of many older RE books that were written back in the days where you could get large loans for having a pulse. I hope that is helpful.
  • Wholesaler · Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    @Derek Kraack, welcome to BP!  There are a lot of great resources and people on this site. You can learn so much from the forums as well. Network as much as possible. 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Derek Kraack

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets community. Be sure to check out “Learn” for all kinds of useful resources and free how to guides.

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Derek Kraack

    Welcome. Take a good look at student housing see below.

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and rehabbers (cash buyers). Find them through Google and meetup.com

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses, The Book on Estimating ReHab Costs http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good Luck

    Paul 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.