Saving pennies and spending dollars

1 Reply

I hear others talk of 'saving pennies and spending dollars' when starting out, trying to do too much themselves, etc.  I see the meaning in terms of say hiring someone to hang/finish drywall who gets it done faster, better and turns the unit around more quickly vs doing it oneself and not having to pay a contractor, but paying oneself $4.50/hr and having a finished job that looks south of awesome.  

What are other concrete examples of saving pennies to spend dollars and better ways to do things?

Thank-you for your time!

Few examples from the top of my head:

Faucets -- I've seen people try to skimp on replacing a whole faucet by replacing a washer, which usually doesn't work, prolongs the problem and just creates more costs until they do replace the whole unit.

Tile floors -- People try to do it without using a backer board, which eventually causes the tiles to pop. 

Roofing -- Sometimes by code in St. Louis you don't have to use an underlayment for the roofing, which is will only create issues down the road.

Plumbing -- Using quality parts (not necessarily the most expensive) over the absolute cheapest always seems like a good idea. I've never had good results form using the cheap stuff.

Peter MacKercher, Real Estate Agent in MO (#2010004223)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you