Just starting out

3 Replies

Hey guys just starting out literally. i see what looks like a property that looks distressed., How do you begin to find out who owns it and how to make them a legit offer. thanks guys

Welcome to BP @Andrew Stair ! You could start out by just knocking on the door and saying you were interested in purchasing the property and if they are willing to sell (this only works if it is owner occupied). You should also be able to find out who owns the property based on the tax records. It may be beneficial for you to find a local agent in the area who works with investors. Not that you can't do any of this yourself but as you are just starting out they could help you with locating properties, writing offers, and analysis on the local market.

One way to find out the owner is to go to Melissa Data.com.  Note the property address, including zip code. You can get contact information and reach the owner that way.  Always do a walk through first, do comps as well ( 2 or 3 similar properties in the same area as the property of interest/also same in number of bedrooms/baths and construction).  That will give you a good asking price.  Good luck.

Charlene

John Steele and Charlene Garrison thank you both for your information. I will post more info as I get it. Fingers and toes crossed

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here