RICH Club vs REIA Houston

23 Replies

Hello everyone,

I am a new investor from Houston. I would like to go to real-estate events, network and learn from experienced investors. I have found two places in Houston that people talk about in general: 1) Realty Investment Club of Houston (RICH), 2) Houston Real Estate Investment Association

Can anyone please share his/her ideas? Which one is better to choose and start with? I heard both have free events for members, but they also have events that members should pay extra money to attend. Is it true? 

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? 

Please also share if you know other clubs, meetups, etc that is happening in Houston area for real-estate investors.

Thanks,

Hamy

Hi @Hamy Bake

I am a new investor to the Houston market as well. I been to a few networking events and even a Bigger Pockets meetup in Houston. I have only visited one investment club so far. I went last night the Houston REIA. It was informative but they were more focused on promoting the club than helping connect investors and grow each other's businesses. I might check it out again. I am going visit all of them to see which are going to be a better fit.

Others are: 

The Prosperity Real Estate Group

Real Estate Titans of Houston

The Wealth Club

RICH

Lifestyles Unlimited

Just be cautious when you go. Listen and meet everyone but be diligent if you pay for anything. I believe in investing in yourself but be selective when you do. 

Hi @Hamy Bake

I used to be a RICH club member and it is a good place to start. I had the chance to meet people and get my team set up (RE lawyer, CPA, Hard Money Lenders, etc.) you can meet a lot of people really fast. I'm no longer a member because I moved too far from their office and I can't make it to the Monday meetings like I used to.

Don't know about the other clubs but I've heard Lifestyles is very very expensive so be careful what you drag yourself into.

Best advice... Go to the free BP meetups around town and talk to everyone.

Good Luck,

Dennis

Hey Hamy,

I've been to several RICH club events and only 1 Houston REIA event (last night).

I want to join both groups but I want to join RICH club first because of the frequency of events hosted.  I think that is the main selling point for me.

I have also gotten a lot of networking practice at RICH club events.

Please let us know what you decide! I want to get the Houston REIA membership like 1-3 weeks after. They are both useful in my opinion.

All REIAs have pros and cons. I have been a member of RICH, Prosperity, and current member of Wealth Club.

The one for you will you depend on what niche you're looking to get into.

All of them specialize to some degree or another in a particular field but will also have overlapping courses, events, etc. Quite frankly, there are so many nowadays it's almost a part-time job to go to every single thing.

RICH is a good starting place. It has lots of general knowledge for you on various topics. Wealth is the same way too. They both bring in lots of quality speakers and experts on whatever you are looking for. Almost every course you take will cost money but consider that money well spent for education if you are just starting out.

Prosperity is Wholesale-centric. Go this route if you want to focus on this niche but keep in mind it is a lot of work (much more than most wholesaling gurus will let on).

Lifestyles is buy & hold-centric. I haven't tried them yet but have heard various opinions from others so please ask around what other investors think of their strategy.

TITANs as far as I know is fairly new. Went to one of their events (held at RICH) and it was well done. They seem pretty good too. Definitely give it a try.

Hope that helps! Best of luck and happy investing!

RICH is great for education. I don't feel like speakers are constantly trying to sell things. It's also WAY more affordable than Lifestyles, so you can choose what events are valuable for you and pay for those. I'm not dogging Lifestyles - they are successful for a reason. But for a beginner, it's a big investment. Those are my $0.02 

Real Acquisitions also has some great educational events too. I've only been to one, but I thought it was great info and very friendly. https://www.facebook.com/realacquisitions/events

Like others have said, RICH is a pretty good club to attend.  If for nothing else, they have a lot of classes that you can attend throughout the month for free with your membership.

@Jonathan Bonck mentioned a few other good ones. One missing is Jet Lending's monthly meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Texans Bar & Grill. It's not a club, but it's probably one of the largest REI meetings in Houston. Typically there are over 200 investors and vendors there.

As Dennis said, it's a good place to start and probably the best deal in real estate investing I have come across in 20 years. It is inexpensive and the training is good. I just hate the meeting day. 

Randy

Are there any Bigger Pockets meetups in Galveston County or League City area? I am new to investing and am wanting to flip rehabs and eventually purchase rentals.

I have been to many meetings and events/classes at the wealth club. The members and vendors are very friendly and Tom Berry has a ton of good information.

As a past member of many of these groups, BP is one of the few that I have not heard about people getting taken advantage of?

I was a member of RICH for over ten years, a past board member, and I now warn people about RICH Club & advise them to be careful, go to every meeting you can find, and remember that most of the REIA group have plenty of sharks looking for "newbies" BP is one of the few places I recommend. I have also been a member of Lifestyles & paid for their basic weekend seminar, which was good, buy & hold & then the up sell to their mentoring. (I did not waste my money on their more expensive programs) Most "so-called mentoring" is overpriced & not a good investment? You have to be very careful. I know of several people who invested in some Lifestyles deals & the deals went bad. Never assume that any mentoring or coaching or REIA group is looking out for you. This includes many real estate agents, who are more interested in their commission & know little or nothing about investing? Any time you are about to spend money for anything, you have to think & take responsibility for your choices. If it sounds to good to be true? if it is only easy and does require much knowledge or experience? Just pay money? too good to be true. Be careful. THINK! Thank you BP members who make forums like this available. Many of us have already lost money.

@Mark Pantak

I am a newbie as well and thinking of joining one of the clubs in Houston. Since you have been a member of RICH and Lifestyles, which one is best for newbie to learn the ropes and meet buyers  and other investors.

Thank you

TONIGHT! Jet Lending's monthly meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at the Texans Bar & Grill. It's not a club, but it's probably one of the largest REI meetings in Houston. Typically there are over 200 investors and vendors there. I would suggest that you attend that tonight if you can? Even if you get there late? Go to every group & meeting you can! Just be careful about not giving up your money too quick? A lot of groups & people are all selling something? Hang on to your money! Take your time, ask a lot of questions, and If I can help, happy to do so. My focus is doing deals. Houses, notes & apartments. Have been doing it for over 30 years. All over Texas, and now nationwide. 

check out LeadSuites.Com they are very reasonable in their price and also have a free account. you can get list of leads of all distressed properties in harris county tx with owner information. Violation list, tax delinquent properties, bankruptcy properties, hotels motel receipts and have complex features as well. Great way to get started as a beginner or even advanced investor.  

I am a member of REIA it is a great was to network and market with people in all areas of the real estate business. Please visit our website reiahouston.com for the next meeting.

Thanks

Denise Iheka CEO of Decoinvestments.com

Since all of these threads are from 4 years ago or more...I'm curious to know if anyone has attended any of the Houston WREIA events recently? Is it a good spot for newbies as well? Are all the others mentioned on here still active and worth attending?

@Mark Sheppard  

I am not sure if it's still existing. COVID-19 has also affected a lot of meet up groups.

Let me know your findings, I will like to attend it is still existing.

Thank you

Unfortunately (now think about this  carefully) thIs former non profit group of over 25 years for the benefit of members that I helped support & build for many years was “taken over” By people with only their own interests in mind. As far as I understand, they not only stole a group that belonged to the members & turned it into their own for profit group, they then stole the monies out of the bank accounts that was the members money, and stripped the club of it’s assets and then SOLD THE GROUP to another investor who has since changed the name. I know of some former members who are really pissed off by all of the unethical behavior & have been working behind the scenes to see what can be done. One of the first things they did is run off or kick out all members with any opposition or ethics, so they could steamroll as they did. We now run several meetup groups which are free which help people. 

@Kenneth Sok , @Chris Bounds

Great comments! I'd never heard of Titans before, been a member of REIA years ago and attended their free 3-day seminar. It was really one huge commercial to up sell a big dog package. But I took good notes and learned a lot. (Even met someone that happened to live in my complex & we went bird-dogging together later.) My husband & I have been to many of the Jet Lending events. I recommend going to that if you haven't. Free food & beer while you learn and network! Made possible with help of vendors that set up booths outside.

Originally posted by @Sandy Sawyer :

@Kenneth Sok , @Chris Bounds

Great comments! I'd never heard of Titans before, been a member of REIA years ago and attended their free 3-day seminar. It was really one huge commercial to up sell a big dog package. But I took good notes and learned a lot. (Even met someone that happened to live in my complex & we went bird-dogging together later.) My husband & I have been to many of the Jet Lending events. I recommend going to that if you haven't. Free food & beer while you learn and network! Made possible with help of vendors that set up booths outside.

My above post is dated. Pre-COVID there was a networking event in Houston almost every night. They're starting to come back. 

- reHacking Live hosted by Invested Agents: The 1st Tuesday of the month. Currently virtual. This is a free event my wife and I have been hosting for the last 4 years. 

- Super Investor Meeting hosted by Jet Lending: The 3rd Wednesday of the month. The largest networking meeting in Houston. This is the one I've attended the most over the years.

- Quest Trust Company: They host frequent educational meetings throughout the month.