Inspection watchouts on my first As-Is SFH, 1930 construction

5 Replies

I am new to rehabbing, and in the process of closing my first purchase in Scottdale, GA. It's a For-Sale-By-Owner, As-Is purchase for a 2 BR, 1 Bath constructed in 1930. While I was able to purchase at a reasonable price, I want to be sure I am not blindsided by major issues which could kill the margin. I have 2 weeks for completing inspection, and would appreciate guidance on areas to watch out for.

I already noticed that the floor is creaking in a couple of rooms, there is no insulation, and there might be lead paint. Besides calling a general inspector to check for obvious issues, and a general contractor for estimating rehab costs, is there anything else I can do to reduce exposure?

You will learn a lot with a 1930's house . The building codes were a bit more lax over 80 years ago .  I have a 1940's , nothing level, nothing square , it was a well lets say "interesting" remodel .

@Matthew Paul : that does not sound encouraging! ;) Guess I will have my hands full...

Has anything been updated? It may need all new wiring and plumbing.

I'd scope the sewer line and confirm material of water supply. Termite inspection, if they're an issue out your way. Asbestos siding and knob-and-tube wiring; even ungrounded cloth wiring is undesirable today. Service panel amperage and meter size. Roof condition & number of shingle layers. HVAC age. Land characteristics - #trees with potential impact to house, slope of property, etc.
Originally posted by @Suvir B. :

@Matthew Paul: that does not sound encouraging! ;) Guess I will have my hands full...

Its all fun , older houses present challenges , but nothing that cant be overcome . 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.