FHA only for duplexes?

8 Replies

I recieved information from a loan officer that stated, FHA loans are only for Duplexes and not 3-4plexes. Can anybody confirm or expand on this?

I was pre-approved in NJ for an FHA loan to purchase a 4-plex. Sounds like this particular loan officer is giving you erroneous information.

I was pre-approved in NJ for an FHA loan to purchase a 4-plex. Sounds like this particular loan officer is giving you erroneous information.

@Angel Rosado thanks for that ! I was trying to get a pre approval for a loan and told him my goals and criteria when he told me that. I though it strange sonce thats all i hear Brandon Turner talk about.

I just closed FHA on a 3-unit. 1-4 unit properties are all "residential" and not "commercial" so your FHA can go up to 4 units.

Best of luck finding a new lender ;)

If the bank won't approve you for 3 or 4 plex, try another bank. FHA can be used to get up to a 4 plex.

@Kevin Izquierdo  FHA will do owner occupied loans for 1-4 unit residential properties. The max FHA loan amount will increase as the # of units increase.

If the loan officer is suggesting its only for Duplex, then he/she is clueless. I routinely do FHA loans for 3-4 units. I suggest you run away from the loan officer and lender.

PM me if you would like for me to see your financials and see if I can qualify you for a higher FHA loan for 3-4 units.

Upen Patel
Mortgage Banker
Upen Patel, Lender in (#National Lender NMLS 1374243)
(571) 331-5161

Yeah. FHA can be used to purchase up to a 4-plex. Now, having said that, not all banks will finance up to a 4-plex. In my experience, hunting for a bank to finance my 4-plex, most of the smaller banks only want SFH and duplexes for their portfolios. Most of the larger banks were ok with 4-plexes.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.