An LLC for an investing educational Website

3 Replies

I am fairly new to investing and created a website to help other newbies learn from my experiences. I am wondering if I need to put this website in an LLC. Do people even do that? Anything I should know as a website owner moving forward?

It depends on what you want to do with the site. A site that grows to the size of Bigger Pockets is a full time business and should probably be in it's own entity. If you are just blogging about your personal experiences it is probably not necessary or helpful. 

You are essentially asking for legal advice. The above is how I would view it but is  not intended as legal advice for your specific situation. The devil is in the details and that is why the advice of a legal professional is a good idea.

It depends on what the purpose of the site is. I mean, if it's just a blog then no, it's not really l a big deal. 

But if you're doing things like selling items, having users create profiles, things that would make you the 'holder' of your users personal info (especially credit card stuff), I'd get with someone that knows about websites and the legal implications. Even a personal site can be hacked and there for, it's owner potentially liable. 

I've been in the IT industry for almost 20 years, but I'm not an expert on where that liability becomes a 'real' problem. But I would reccomend if you're holding peoples personally identifiable info, get with a professional. Better safe than sorry.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here