Buy and Hold

5 Replies

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to real estate investing and finally want to jump on board in buying and holding a townhouse/condo about 30 minutes from me. 

-The property will either be in a newly or recently newly constructed area. Or something built within the past couple years. New school systems and even a subway being built by the airport. Many people are moving to the existing properties.

-I'm looking at something around 150-250,000, but I guess this will all revolve around my motivation? That motivation would be a decent cash flow (might be more important than anything), appreciation of course, and the tax write off. 

-I would love to net at least $500 a month if possible.

-It's my understanding that an FHA (or is it VA?) that would be an ideal choice, but I would have to live in the property right?

-I have about 200,000 equity in my current SFH and one option I was told was refinancing and possibly using all of it to pay off the 2nd home completely. Then I'd have a much bigger original mortgage I'd have to pay off (with the rent). Is that smart??

-Is it personal choice to use all the equity and buy one home or a couple months with a smaller down payment in each for a possible bigger return? Or is one just a better choice?

Sorry for all the questions. I wanted to put everything in one place and depending on the responses split the questions up to the appropriate forums.

Thanks!!

Chris

Originally posted by @Chris DeChiara :

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to real estate investing and finally want to jump on board in buying and holding a townhouse/condo about 30 minutes from me. 

-The property will either be in a newly or recently newly constructed area. Or something built within the past couple years. New school systems and even a subway being built by the airport. Many people are moving to the existing properties.

-I'm looking at something around 150-250,000, but I guess this will all revolve around my motivation? That motivation would be a decent cash flow (might be more important than anything), appreciation of course, and the tax write off. 

-I would love to net at least $500 a month if possible.

I doubt rents will support a monthly net of $500 after expenses in a class A neighborhood....

-It's my understanding that an FHA (or is it VA?) that would be an ideal choice, but I would have to live in the property right?

FHA has very high PMI - do you have 20% for down payment? Maybe better to look at conventional. Also, PMI does not go away on an FHA IIRC. VA and FHA is for o/o only.

-I have about 200,000 equity in my current SFH and one option I was told was refinancing and possibly using all of it to pay off the 2nd home completely. Then I'd have a much bigger original mortgage I'd have to pay off (with the rent). Is that smart??

If this is going to be an investment purchase it may be a VERY good option for you assuming that you are able to get a 15-30 yr fixed rate w/o a balloon payment.

-Is it personal choice to use all the equity and buy one home or a couple months with a smaller down payment in each for a possible bigger return? Or is one just a better choice?

Not sure what you are asking here....

Thanks Justin.

All I could use is equity in my home to finance/buy a new home. That would negate the PMI then right? But it's a moot point if I'm not living there then?

I read about a scenario (in the Bigger Pockets book) of buying a house outright at say $300 return a month versus buying many houses with a down payment on each and ending up with say a $500 return. I have 200,000 equity and I'd like to use it the smartest, most advantageous way possible.

Originally posted by @Chris DeChiara :

Thanks Justin.

All I could use is equity in my home to finance/buy a new home. That would negate the PMI then right? But it's a moot point if I'm not living there then?

Yes - as long as you have 20% down you will not have PMI. If you take 200k equity out of your current house you could buy the investment property outright an not have PMI 

I don't know your market, but I would imagine that there are better ways to leverage 200k in equity than just buying one property outright. Leverage is VERY powerful in real estate. Maybe you should find a mentor before you tie up such a large amount of money.

Thanks. I literally have talked to ONE mortgage banker (and friend) about this and it seemed like that was an "ideal" option. 200K to buy outright that is. Just taking it with a grain of salt, not as gospel.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here