LLC in NV or WY

5 Replies

Anyone know if there is a difference in setting up an LLC in Nevada vs. Wyoming? We are in Georgia. I know you need an agent in both states if you don't live there. Just wondering if there's a difference in asset protection or if they are equal.

TIA

Janie & Larry

Hi Janie -- I am not licensed to practice in Nevada, Wyoming, or Georgia so please consider this my 2 cents and not legal advice. Set up your LLC in Georgia. You generally have to have an agent when the LLC is out of state. Your Georgia LLC, insurance, and possibly buying in a land trust, should help protect your assets. Since you are just starting, having a hefty insurance policy along with umbrella coverage may meet your needs.

Best, Teresa

Georgia entity would be much more simple and just as effective, unless you are talking about eight figures' worth of assets. Good luck.

I will second the motion. If you are going to use an LLC, set it up in the state where you will be owning the property.

I absolutely agree, i would set up in your home state especially if you are just getting started,the hassle of keeping up with the fees from multiple states  just isnt worth it! I have my S-corp set up in WY but I do business in GA ,being new and listening to the GURUS  had me doing things that weren't necessarily needed at the time

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here