Finding A Real Estate Agent

11 Replies

Hi All,

I have been on the Bigger Pockets site for a few months now.  Quietly watching, reading, and listening - however, I am still not extremely comfortable.  My name is Max and I am from the Denver, CO area.  A recent grad of Colorado State University - I now work in the financial industry.  I am extremely interested in becoming involved with real estate and hopefully growing it into something special.

I am interested in purchasing a multi-family for my first home and real estate investment.  When is the right time to find a real estate agent?  Furthermore, how do I find one that I want to work with/that is good at their job/ec?

Input on this topic would be greatly appreciated.  I have read a lot about people freezing up and never making the plunge to actually become an active real estate investor and I am determined to not let that be me.

Of course everything I say is going to sound biased, but it's good to find an agent early in the process as a buyer. It gives you time to vet your options and really pick one that best suits your needs. It's never a good idea to just pick one and trust they'll be a good fit without a good interview.

Since you're new to the game make sure to go with someone who will help you plan on top of helping you purchase. If your goal is to continue in real estate investing then that relationship will be a big part. 

Dan Mackin, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA.100056958)

Welcome Max! 1st post is a pretty good start to making that leap. Now let’s talk about a good time to find you an agent... my vote is YESTERDAY!

Of course you want to make sure you have everything on your end covered as far as investment knowledge and/or a mentor. Another important thing is to have a timeframe in when you'd to make your first investment. Is it this month? 3 months? Next year? 3 years? I would rely less on when the time is right, and lean more towards when the deal is write.

With that said, it's time to find an agent who will align you with the deals. You'll want an investor friendly agent who speaks the language, knows what makes for a profitable investment, listens, is willing to put the time in to work with an investor, and acts quick when a deal presents itself. Lastly, it may be beneficial to work with an agent with a PM background so that they can be there with you every step of the way, from purchasing, to renting, to listing, and purchasing again.

Lucky for you, you shouldn't have to go very far because there are plenty of agents here in your area who know how to think like an investor because many of them are investors.

Your agent will size you up in a sense to ensure you're a serious investor with the means to purchase, and not just an eager window shopper.

My advice would be to exchange your discomfort for more knowledge which eventually becomes confidence. But don't wait until then to jump in.... Learn as you go. That's why we're all here!

Dan - 

Thanks for the response.  I'm not taking that as a bias - the overall theme of your post (finding a real estate agent that you can work with, etc) for the future to come is pretty much what I assumed.  I guess the next question would be how do I go about getting ahold of real estate agents or connect with agents that are looking to become involved with a new, first time investor whom is potentially looking to build his portfolio into something?

Originally posted by @Max Pickus:

Hi All,

I have been on the Bigger Pockets site for a few months now. Quietly watching, reading, and listening - however, I am still not extremely comfortable. My name is Max and I am from the Denver, CO area. A recent grad of Colorado State University - I now work in the financial industry. I am extremely interested in becoming involved with real estate and hopefully growing it into something special.

I am interested in purchasing a multi-family for my first home and real estate investment. When is the right time to find a real estate agent? Furthermore, how do I find one that I want to work with/that is good at their job/ec?

Input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I have read a lot about people freezing up and never making the plunge to actually become an active real estate investor and I am determined to not let that be me.

You're actually smart to be "not extremely comfortable". It's a big decision, and there really aren't tons of agents who are also investors. It's unfortunate but true that some agents just want to talk you into a sale, although I really do think that's the minority; most are at least well intentioned. As @Dan Mackin said, you just need to interview people and find someone on your wavelength. Disclosure: Dan and I both are brokers and work with the same brokerage, which does focus on investment... just saying :)

You absolutely want to keep educating yourself on REI, so you'll know if someone is trying to snow you. With some basic understanding of investment principles you should be able to discern over the course of a cup of coffee or a beer whether an agent is on the same page as you and has helpful information to share. Talk to several. Just call or email and ask for a meeting. No agent with any sense expects every consultation to turn into a client, so don't feel bad that you may be wasting someone's time.

You should come by the Denver BP meetup sometime - there are plenty of folks there who are also just getting started, as well as many experienced investors.

@Max Pickus BP is a great place to find realtors who really understand what you need. It looks to me like you already have two people in CO. that you need to talk to. 

Originally posted by @Max Pickus :

Dan - 

Thanks for the response.  I'm not taking that as a bias - the overall theme of your post (finding a real estate agent that you can work with, etc) for the future to come is pretty much what I assumed.  I guess the next question would be how do I go about getting ahold of real estate agents or connect with agents that are looking to become involved with a new, first time investor whom is potentially looking to build his portfolio into something?

Simple answer here. Call us or send us a message. Using BP to find some is a great way. Make sure to use someone who is actually active on here so you can look into them. There are a lot of agents who are members, but don't actually contribute anything so it's hard to know where they stand.

Dan Mackin, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA.100056958)

@Max Pickus it takes some time of find a good agent. If it were me, I would hang out here and see who knows what they are talking about. You can do searches in the box in the upper right to go through old forum posts in order to speed up the process.

IMO your new agent should at least own one rental property themselves and hopefully more than one. There is nothing like owning to give you that first hand experience to cut through the fluff when evaluating properties.

I appreciate all the positive feedback.  I will start to get my ducks in a row - narrow down exactly what I am looking for and then begin to reach out to Agents.  I hope to have the opportunity to meet some of you in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help answer these questions for me.

@Max Pickus I think one of the BP employees @Mindy Jensen is a real estate agent in the Denver area.  Maybe she can be of help to you.

Russell Brazil, Real Estate Agent in Maryland (#648402), Virginia (#0225219736), District of Columbia (#SP98375353), and Massachusetts (#9​0​5​2​3​4​6)
301-893-4635

Thanks, @Russell Brazil . I actually don't do much with my license right now. And it's funny that @Dan Mackin replied, I was going to recommend @Max Pickus get in touch with Dan or his boss, Micky, whose name I cannot remember how to spell. Both work for a very investor-friendly agency called 33 Zen. 

I think @Bill S. is an Agent, too. Although I don't know how active he is with clients. 

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

@MindyJensen I think that is my gameplan.  Both agents from 33 Zen responded and were extremely helpful.  I am getting a few of my own ducks in line and should be making contact in the next week.

I recently heard your podcast and enjoyed it very much.  Thanks for the input!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you