Price to rent ratio

Price to rent ratio

Massapequa Park, NY · Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 1 vote

Total newbie here, considering buying a property to rent (two family home) and hold for 5-10 years before selling.

I'd like to have a break even or positive cash flow and was wondering if there was a rule of thumb of what ratio of home cost (sale price) / (annual rent) would be a good place to start?

Thanks

0Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
17y

I've made a couple of threads in the Landlording forum on this topic sticky. Have a look at those for more than you ever wanted to know about expenses.

Really, expenses are the only tricky piece of evaluating a rental. Everything else is just simple math.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    One rule of thumb is the rent should be 2% or more of the price. That translates into a rent multiplier just over 4.

    A better rule of thumb is to assume expenses will be 50% of the monthly rent. Subtract the desired cash flow off the remaining 50%, and that's your max P&I payment. Use the rate and term you can get to do a present value calculation to get the max price. Ignore down payments, since you don't want your money working for free.

    So, for example, with that calculation, if market rents are $1000, your NOI is $500. Subtract $100 for desired cash flow, and that leaves $400 for the max payment. At 7% and 30 years, that will give a PV of $60,123.

  • Massapequa Park, NY · Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Hmm, I wonder if these #'s need to be adjusted in different markets. I'm on Long Island (NY) and the absolute cheapest houses are 300K, I'm looking at a property 350K, that can rent for about 3200 a month. Does that sound like a horrible investment?

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Yes, horrible sounds like the right word!

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Frank Apap:
    Hmm, I wonder if these #'s need to be adjusted in different markets.


    No. The math is the same everywhere. I've heard some people claim expenses may be a bit lower in mild climates than in harsher ones. But the basic idea doesn't depend on your market.
  • Massapequa Park, NY · Member since 2008 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Wow, it just seems like it would make it almost impossible to do a buy and rent type of thing here then.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    If a place costs $350K and rents for $3200/month, you could certainly buy it and rent it. P&I on a 100% note would be $2328/month. NOI after 50% expenses will be $1600. That puts you in the hole by $728/month.

    Even with a more optimistic assumption of expenses being 40% of rent, you're still in the hole $408/month.

    If you pay cash, and using the optimistic 40% for expenses, you get $1920/month in cash flow. That's a 6.6% return on your cash. Slightly better than CDs, but not much.

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
    17y

    Those numbers might work in some markets but not in mine. In markets where home values are higher and rents have not kept up it is impossible to experience that much cash flow.

  • Real Estate Investor · Larchmont , NY · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Does this investment make sense..

    Purchase price of 3 family home: $70,000
    Taxes: $2000 per year
    Gross Rental Income: $1500

    Landlord pays water, insurance and taxes only. Tenants pay utilities.

    What do you guys think ?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Well, the landlord pays more than that. You have to pay maintenance, property management (which you might do yourself), advertising, tenant screening, capital expenses (roof, sewer, etc.), evictions, vacancies, tenant damage, etc.

    Still, that looks like a good deal.

    Rent: $1500
    All expenses: $750
    NOI: $750
    P&I: $466 ($70K, 30 years, 7%)
    Cash flow: $284

    Then you can't own rental properties there except as speculation. If you get some appreciation, enough to make up for your monthly losses, you'll make money. If appreciation is less, or, as is happening in many, many, many places, negative, you'll lose money each month and when you sell. The math could care less about your market. The math tells you whether its an investment (i.e., generates income each month) or speculation (requires appreciation to avoid losses.)

  • OH · Member since 2008 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    Jon,

    What an easy and straightforward answer. I think this should be kept at the top of the starting out page (sticky?) and labeled "The Basics."

    Clearly there are a large number of real estate investors out there paying way to much for their investment real estate. Most don't take into account their own money - that includes the agents selling the properties. The goal is to keep hunting and find those gems that you can add value (equity) too. Then bring the 50% rule into affect. Let the losers buy the losers and you will be laughing all the way to the bank.

  • Handyman · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2008 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    17y

    Jon - thanks for responding - good info. Do you have any links for additional info?

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    I've made a couple of threads in the Landlording forum on this topic sticky. Have a look at those for more than you ever wanted to know about expenses.

    Really, expenses are the only tricky piece of evaluating a rental. Everything else is just simple math.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    The 50% rule has been spoken here as if it were gospel and relevant on every single investment. In my book, it is not so. Particularly with Frank's property he is looking at (or was looking at).

    A property that has a monthly gross rental income of $3200 will not have expenses reaching anywhere close to 50% in most cases. For properties with $400-$700, I am sure they do. Percentages can change dramatically depending on the gross rent. Rather than using a percentage rule, why not calculate the taxes & insurance, then add in a vacancy reserve, a capital reserve, and a misc. expense reserve. Paying 10% for PM on this type of property would be ridiculous and probably self manageable, even from a distance, so that fee can be erased. Properties of this caliber will have a much lower tenant turnover ratio, little to most likely NONE tenant damage beyond the deposit, and evictions will be much less likely. People able to afford this amount in rent are middle to upperclass and less likely to cause problems. If the property is in great condition or close to new, the capital expenses will be minimal in a 5-10 year period as well.

    Point being, do the math with actaul figures and estimate reserves and other expenses that do not occur on a monthly basis, rather than use a simple percentage.

    Can this be a good investment? That question can only be answered by the investor who does the proper and necessary due diligence on the property and if it fits within their game plan.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I disagree. First, this is a duplex, so the rent is only $1,600 per unit per month. While this COULD have a middle class tenant in it, it could also have a bunch of lower class tenants sharing the rent. A $1,600 per month rental would be unheard of here in Ohio, but $1,600 for rent certainly isn't upper class on Long Island or NYC - not even close.

    Will is correct that IF you had a well-screened middle class tenant, that the eviction rate and tenant damage could be lower. However, the property taxes are sky-high on Long Island (one of the highest in the nation) as are all the other taxes. In addition, socialist bastions usually have some of the most unfavorable eviction laws in the country. So, while you may not have as many evictions, the cost of the eviction and the time it will take will be much greater. The point being that it all averages out and the 50% rule is still the most accurate gauge going.

    That is not to say that a person shouldn't do all possible due diligence. While expenses are almost never much below the 45% to 50% range over time, they could be higher on an individual basis. You might also find that the government issues are so onerous that it isn't worth holding rentals on Long Island even if you could find a property that would cash flow. Even here in Ohio, dealing with the government stupidity is very frustrating and can be more aggravating than dealing with tenants because it's harder to fight.

    What? I thought you said that property managers MADE you money? Just kidding - I'm glad to see that you're converting to the self-manage school of thought! One little point though, even if you manage, you still can't "erase" the management expense - not unless you work for free (I don't). As I've said many times, property management is the most over-paid job on the planet! You certainly don't want to give that away!

    Mike

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    What? I thought you said that property managers MADE you money? Just kidding - I'm glad to see that you're converting to the self-manage school of thought! One little point though, even if you manage, you still can't "erase" the management expense - not unless you work for free (I don't). As I've said many times, property management is the most over-paid job on the planet! You certainly don't want to give that away!
    What I said is that PM's can make or break your business and the selection of the proper ones are crucial. I am not "converting over" as most properties owned out of state need a PM, but in this specific case, it may not be necessary.
    I think Mike oversimplifies the responsibilities and duties of a real property manager (and a quality one), but there is no need to go into that as we have different opinions on that subject. If you do pay for a PM, make sure you negotiate the very best services at the very best rates and stay on top of them.
  • Homeowner · Abington · Member since 2009 · 61 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I do not know the other area . But in PA North Wales, $280,000 with home association fee $135 can only rent $1750 per month. A lot houses rents out like this.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Suffice it to say that there are various opinions as to a good ratio for expenses, or whether or not it can even be reduced to a simple ratio.

    Find out what you can about a deal, then make some consideration of what you can't find out. Some expenses are impossible to predict, like tenant damage or evictions. Some are difficult, like roofs, furnaces, and sewer lines. Some are easy, like taxes, insurance, and property management if you use it. Don't stop with the simple ones because its sure there are more than just those.

    I've removed quite a number of posts from this thread. This topic of the "50% rule" gets pretty heated. Its been hashed out before in the sticky threads in the landlording forum. In addition, I'll refer readers to another, more recent thread Validate the 50% Rule.

  • Murray Hill, NJ · Member since 2008 · 204 posts · 15 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by nationwidepi:

    A property that has a monthly gross rental income of $3200 will not have expenses reaching anywhere close to 50% in most cases.

    A 350K house on Long Island may very well have $1600 per month in expenses when you factor in the high taxes, cost of insurance, maintenance, etc. Especially in Nassau County, 350K does not buy you a great house. It's likely to need repairs and considerable ongoing maintenance, all of which will add up.
    For these reasons, as Jon mentioned earlier, often the only way to make money there is through appreciation. Even then you have to hope that the appreciation covers the negative monthly cashflow in the end.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    That's because you don't manage properties and don't have a grasp of what's actually involved (much like the operating expense issue).



    The recent study done by Taz representing more than 80,000 units, showed operating expenses to be consistently in the 45% to 50% range even in properties with higher rental rates (like this duplex at $1,600 per unit). That study is consistent with the larger studies that represent hundreds of thousands of rentals across the United States.

    To get back to the original question, the monthly gross rents need to be close to 2% of the acquisition cost (purchase price + rehab) for a property to cash flow properly. Properties with gross rents near 1% of the acquisition cost are almost universally horrible! I use the 2% Rule strictly as a screening tool. If the monthly gross rents aren't at least close to 2% of the acquisition cost, I know it's a dud and I move on. If the gross rents are at least 2% of the acquisition cost, I then use the 50% Rule to calculate the cash flow.

    Mike

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    That's because you don't manage properties and don't have a grasp of what's actually involved (much like the operating expense issue).
    Here he goes again making false statements and re-entering comentary that is not only unnecessary, but was deleted by the moderator. Is it not against forum rules to re-enter moderator deleted posts?

    I have a complete grasp on what is involved in property management. Just because my CURRENT business in the landlording sector does not involve me self-managing, does not mean I do not understand it or know whayt is involved with it.
    I also understand operating expenses perfectly. Just because I don;t agree with all of your methods does not make me wrong and you right.
    Quit your need to make yourself "look" better than me or anyone else. It is arrogant and foolish.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    I have not made any false statements. I stated that you don't manage properties and according to you - you don't! That sounds accurate to me. Furthermore, I did not repost a deleted post, I answered your comment that "I think Mike oversimplifies the responsibilities and duties of a real property manager". I am a real property manager and you admittedly are not.

    You claimed that operating expenses on a $1,600 per unit duplex "will not have expenses reaching anywhere close to 50% in most cases" - again blatantly wrong and not backed up by ANY DATA (including Taz's recent study).

    The bottom line is that you sell property to newbies at retail prices and if the 50% rule is true, they don't cash flow as you claim on your website. That's why you're always attacking it. Like a 4 unit building on your website for $438,000 with gross rents of $4,380 per month which you claim has "Great Cash Flow". I'd like to know how a building with rents at 1% of the purchase price could possibly have "Great Cash Flow"! This is EXACTLY what this topic is about and I invite you to explain how this deal cash flows.

    I am hoping that the moderators won't delete this post as NOTHING could be more important or more on-topic than this issue.

    Mike
  • Real Estate Investor · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2008 · 203 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    ^agreed, let this discussion continue -an interesting and informative one!

    (I didn't even think the original posts deserved to be deleted as they were relevant and astute)

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    I have not made any false statements. I stated that you don't manage properties and according to you - you don't!
    Wrong again! I said I don't CURRENTLY self-property manage my current holdings due to several reasons, one being a geographical challenge as I invest out of state CURRENTLY. So that is a false or incorrect statement as it is just your own assumption. Either way, why do you insist on attempting to prove you have more managing experience than I do? Self esteem issues? I am not in a management competition with you.
    You state, in an attempt to sell your book to newbies, that you are "THE ONLY" one who teaches true operating expenses. That is a false statement at best, and more accurately an arrogant one. You don't expect people to believe you are the ONLY one in the world, do you?
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Furthermore, I did not repost a deleted post, I answered your comment that "I think Mike oversimplifies the responsibilities and duties of a real property manager". I am a real property manager and you admittedly are not.
    Wrong yet again. You already responded on this and it was deleted and now you are responding again, using different words. I have self-managed in the past and if you MUST know, I have extensive knowledge on the subject. I teach others how to manage properly and I teach how to manage property managers. A technique you appear to be missing.
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    The bottom line is that you sell property to newbies at retail prices and if the 50% rule is true, they don't cash flow as you claim on your website. That's why you're always attacking it.
    Here you go again, attempting to portray a false & negative perception. You are something else. Why don't you let it go?
    FOR THE RECORD, I have sold properties to a VAST VARIETY OF INVESTORS, and your wording insinuates that I take advantage of newbies which is RIDICULOUS! NEVER have I taken advantage of them, and to this day, they have my company on their team for as long as they own the property. Name me one seller or agent that offers that! If the property didn't work out financially for my investor/buyer, I would be on the hook and they would be on my ( as ) well you know the last letter to that word.
    Also, for the record, I don't attack the 50% rule. I don't agree that it is an end all, be all calculation. Furthermore, I believe it is more responsible and accurate for an investor to not use percentages, as they are in it self, guesses, based only on averages. By definition of average, you could have one with 35% OE, one with 50% OE, and one with 65% OE. The "average" is 50%, but one investor is getting much better cash flow, and one negative cash flow.
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Like a 4 unit building on your website for $438,000 with gross rents of $4,380 per month which you claim has "Great Cash Flow". I'd like to know how a building with rents at 1% of the purchase price could possibly have "Great Cash Flow"! This is EXACTLY what this topic is about and I invite you to explain how this deal cash flows.
    Please show us all just one listing or advertisement of an investment property that lists expenses in addition to PITI and management. It is a listing and every one of them only lists the expenses that can be certain. It is up to the investor to add (or subtract in this case) all of the other expenses they wish to do. Some, such as yourself, will add enough to equal 50% of the gross rents, others will do 40%, and others will not use a percentage. Point is, it is up to each individual investor to calculate their cash flow analysis. The ad simply shows what the cash flow is after PITI & PM, that is it.
    Also, if you must know, there are many different strategies out there to make money in RE (oh, I forgot, you see only in your own tunnel). Our suggested strategy to our investors who buy these brand new units is to hold for a period of 7-10 years. They are out long before large cap expenses (such as roof replacements, AC replacements, new electrical wiring, new plumbing, etc) every occur. They are also in middle income areas and the tenants are of much better quality than the crack heads you house, by your own admission. Neither I, or any of my investors, have yet to experience damage to the units beyond the deposit, I have personally only had to evict two times in the last 4 years and both were in one of my only two lower income rentals in a not so good area. I will not be investing in this type of unit again. Bottom line is I have PERSONALLY, over the last 5 years, experienced an operating expense ratio below 50% on 1-4 unit properties. On the flip side, I have experienced operating expense ratios much higher than 50% on several multi-family commercial (apartments of 5 units+) for a variety of reasons and factors. This PERSONAL experience of MINE is the reason why I PERSONALLY make a choice to not use a set percentage to calculate OE on every unit. Have I used a 50% rule before? Of course I have, long, long before I even new BP or you existed (another false statement you have made in the past here on BP that you developed it). It has been taught for "quick analysis" or "back of the napkin analysis" by many different real estate investors for decades, long before you started investing.
  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y


    I agree that typical advertisements don't include all expenses. On the other hand, typcial advertisements don't say "Great Cash Flow" when the numbers indicate that the cash flow is negative. Since you are an educator; you know that the expenses are not PITI (in fact principal and interest aren't expenses at all); and you are selling (at least some of) these properties to newbies, I think it would be more appropriate to either educate them about ALL of the expenses or to remove the "Great Cash Flow" from your ads.



    I agree with that also. As I've said before, accepting negative cash flow and speculating on appreciation is a legitimate strategy.



    I think you've misread something here. We do sometimes take over distressed buildings that have crack addicts in them, but we promptly evict them. Likewise, if someone that I have screened ends up being a crack addict (or doing anything else illegal), we promptly evict them. We certainly do no house crack addicts (except long enough to evict them).



    That's hard to believe considering just in July you accused me of 'making it up'. Moreover, you have aggressively argued that you do not use the 50% Rule, so to now claim that you use it is not believable. I am the original author of the 50% Rule. If you disagree, please copy and paste one post from this or any other website, or from any book that was released prior to my book that talks about the 50% Rule. Here again, you are just factually incorrect.

    To be clear, I did not compile the data that went into the making of the 50% Rule. I just arranged it to include the operating expenses, capital expenses, and the vacancy expense (to make it simple for new investors) and from that came up with The 50% Rule. If you dispute that, show the proof!

    Mike
  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    On the other hand, typcial advertisements don't say "Great Cash Flow" when the numbers indicate that the cash flow is negative.

    That is not correct. Every ad I see uses key words and phrases to draw attention and many of them use "great cash flow" In fact I have seen several ads from companies and individulas advertising their property with rents below a 1% purchase price ratio and state "great cash flow".


    Secondly, you only assume my numbers indicate negative cash flow. I and my investors have experienced otherwise. You can argue that all you want, but it makes no difference to me. What I experience has nothing to do with your opinions.

    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    I think it would be more appropriate to either educate them about ALL of the expenses or to remove the "Great Cash Flow" from your ads.

    I really don't care what you think is more appropriate. I run my business and make my ads the way I see fit. I don't tell you how to write your book, do I.


    Besides, my investors do get the education from me. It does not have to be all spelled out in an ad. Get a clue.

    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    I think you've misread something here. We do sometimes take over distressed buildings that have crack addicts in them, but we promptly evict them. Likewise, if someone that I have screened ends up being a crack addict (or doing anything else illegal), we promptly evict them. We certainly do no house crack addicts (except long enough to evict them).

    My point was simply to state that I and my investors don't ever experience this type of occurance and thus have less expenses and headaches becasue of it. That is all.

    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    That's hard to believe considering just in July you accused me of 'making it up'. Moreover, you have aggressively argued that you do not use the 50% Rule, so to now claim that you use it is not believable.

    Wrong again. I did no such thing. What I said is that the data you always refer to to prove the 50% rule, comes from apartment buildings as single family owners do not report their expense items or ratios to the public. I have stated that these two investment vehicles, in MY OPINION, have differnt expense ratios. I have also stated that lower income properties such as units with $600 monthly rents and below do have higher expense ratios. I have not aggressively argued that I don't use a 50% rule EVER, I said I use it as a "back of the napkin" analysis and have used that terminology many times.


    So to be clear, I think the 50% rule can be a useful tool but should not be used as a reliable source to make decisions to purchase or not to purchase. Furthermore, I feel that it can be useful for a quick analysis, but investors should consider other factors when using ANY AVERAGE RATIO rather than figures as an investment with a 25% vacancy average over the past will have a much higher expense RATIO over that of the same valued property with a vacancy of only 5%. That is it.

    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    I am the original author of the 50% Rule. If you disagree, please copy and paste one post from this or any other website, or from any book that was released prior to my book that talks about the 50% Rule. Here again, you are just factually incorrect.

    You can believe that if you like. I really don't care. I have seen Tim post several times that he has used a 50% rule long before ever coming to BP and that his Father used it decades ago. (Tim, if I misrepresented anything about you here, I apologize, I am going strictly off of memory).


    John Dessauer is a full time apartment investor who also teaches and mentors others and he is one who teaches the use of a 50% rule long before you started investing as well. Look him up if you like. Scott Scheel is another who has a commercial property academy and teaches the usage of a 50% rule. None of these people ever claimed to "author" the rule, but do teach how to appropriately use a 50% rule as well as many other rules.


    It is quite arrogant to claim to be the author and creator of a rule that has been used for decades before you ever invested in RE.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.