• Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
First "Investment" 95% Done!

Triston Murray
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Dec 4 2015, 16:03

Hey BPers. Triston Murray from Chicago! I wanted to share a little bit from a recent deal that just got appraised. I consider this my first pure investment, since the Chicago 2 flat I already own and rent is also my primary residence.

So, here are some numbers!

• Address: 17000 Locust Ave, Hazel Crest Illinois
  • Total Purchase: $55,895 (Total amount on HUD-1)
  • Total Rehab: $40,475 (inc'l village permits)
    • Mortgage Balance: $39,267
    • LoC Balance: $51,252
    • Current Out-of-Pocket: ~$7,290

Total Owed to Lender: $90,519

Total Out-of-Pocket: ~$7,290

To be completely honest I wasn't entirely sure what direction to take when first embarking on this project... Whether I would sell or hold. Because of uncertainty, I wanted to put myself in what I felt should be an "OK" position to do either, by not going super crazy with the rehab, but I also didn't want to get cheap. Unfortunately the rehab did end up going a bit over budget (or is it that the appraisal came in low?), but thankfully I think I'm "OK":

Here's some more numbers!

• Appraisal: $125,000
  • 75% Cash Out Refi: $93,750

So while the place is on the market right now, and will probably update and run it again at a slight discount.... I am leaning towards keeping it. I figure I can at least pay off my lender the $90,519, take the $7k hit and use the remaining $3k or so to absorb any underwriting fees and to hedge against future vacancies etc.

Please let me know your thoughts, advice, just really anything! I'll post pics later. Thanks Everyone!

Loading replies...