When to register a business name.

7 Replies

Hello all. My husband and I are looking to rehab and flip 2 houses a year in 2016 and 2017. We will be living in them during this period in order to build up capital faster. My question is; How does living in the flip effect the tax end of this? Is there any reason that we should not go ahead a register a business name so that we can write off all of our business expenses? I am having a hard time finding this information online anywhere, so any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Amber

There are a few ways you can make this work and a couple of ways to set it up that will have it go horribly.  I second @Account Closed 's advice to consult a CPA about your specific situation and plans as this is an issue that is fraught with way too many issues to take generalized advice on.

@Amber Webb think twice re registering your REI as a business, especially in flipping.

Read up on the IRS dreaded classification of "RE Dealer".

IMO, if you need write-offs to make your flips profitable, you need to buy smarter and reduce costs.

Originally posted by @J Beard:

@Amber Webb think twice re registering your REI as a business, especially in flipping.

Read up on the IRS dreaded classification of "RE Dealer".

IMO, if you need write-offs to make your flips profitable, you need to buy smarter and reduce costs.

The tax benefits of being a business FAR outweigh any such risks, IMO.

David J Dachtera

"Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
- DJ Benedict

Originally posted by @Amber Webb :

Hello all. My husband and I are looking to rehab and flip 2 houses a year in 2016 and 2017. We will be living in them during this period in order to build up capital faster. My question is; How does living in the flip effect the tax end of this? Is there any reason that we should not go ahead a register a business name so that we can write off all of our business expenses? I am having a hard time finding this information online anywhere, so any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Amber

You'll want to get that  done ASAP, Amber, so you two can start building credit in the business separate from your personal credit. Start with Net-30 trade lines and then graduate to credit accounts and cards. Most lenders want to see 2 years in business. So, the sooner you start the clock the better.

David J Dachtera

"Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
- DJ Benedict

Thank you all for the input! I do believe that I will talk with an accountant when we sell our first flip and decide from there what the best course of action should be. From my understanding, when I start my business, I should be able to write off some of the expenses incurred while doing business prior to legal startup. This is something that I will have to do more research about.