Psychology, Economy or Finance

3 Replies

Hi guys,

I'm a new member to BiggerPockets and I would like your advise before making a decision.

I'm majoring marketing in University and I want to add a minor to my degree. Which between psychology, economy or finance would benefit the most my career as a real estate investor? 

I am planning to start as a broker if it can help you in your suggestion.

Thanks for your help

welcome @Yanick Cusson to BP! 

What interest you the most among those 3 areas? 

Get a part-time job with a real estate broker in your area, and offer to start out from the bottom. Volunteer your time if you have to. Be an assistant to the top realtors in that brokerage and LEARN. 

The school of hard knocks will prepare you much better than most formal education will.

Minor in finance would be nearest to what you need. However you don't really need to study anything in college to become an investor. You could just focus on all of the free material you can find online. 

@Yanick Cusson are you going to college to earn a degree to help attain a career as a real estate broker, real estate investor, or in the marketing field? If RE broker or RE investor, you don't need a degree as a ticket to entry. A corporate job in marketing will likely require a degree. All that said, if you're going to get a degree regardless, in my opinion, finance/accounting will complement a corporate job in marketing and help you in real estate. Psychology could benefit in marketing analysis, understanding consumer behavior, etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here