Rental Questions and Input needed

3 Replies

I am happy to say that we have purchased our first rental property. After rehabbing now nine houses this year, we feel that we need to upgrade our business strategy as we move forward. We are not looking to move away from rehabbing but I do see a great opportunity in buying properties in renting. I am at a lost as it relates to purchasing rental property and refinancing in order to get your cash back out so you could start the process once again. Any input regarding this topic would be great. I guess part of my issue is the 75% LTV issue as a relates to the properties overall value. Meaning if I don't buy the property at a heck of a discount then getting my money back out of the property after purchasing the property is extremely difficult to do.

Here are my numbers so please provide input as you see fit. 

Purchase property for 100k

Value 130k

Renting for 1400 both sides 

Put 30k down 

Now trying to refi as we speak so I can buy another property. 

What am I missing?

You have it right. You need to speak with multiple banks to see if you can find one to refinance you at better terms. 

Otherwise, always make sure you buy at as much of a discount as possible and OR improve the property to raise ARV appraisal.

Congrats on the massive cash flow from the duplex I dont know what the problem you are seeing in either scenario you will be able to get most of your money out of the property after 6 months, 

if the property appraises for $130 or $ 100 for since you put down $30k 75% of either appraisal would give you between $25-32 k back, plus the massive cash flow would raise your dti ratio for better finance terms for your next property Keep going nice job 

Great.  Thanks for the feedback.....

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.