Securing a loan with a hard money lender.

5 Replies

Hello all! 

I am interested in finding a hard money lender to work with to purchase my first flip project and wanted to know what to expect and questions I should be asking aside from the normal ( int. rates and terms). I think this is a good way to secure my first property and feel it is a pretty safe way to get started. I do have 10k in cash I planned on using for renovations. Also have money in my IRA that could be used if need be. Looking at a purchase range of 50-70k and holding no longer than 3 Months. Thanks for any advice!

@Thomas Berridge , you cannot commingle you IRA and personal funds.

A hard money lender will probably not lend to your IRA since it requires a non-recourse loan.

The only way to use your IRA is for it to purchase the property 100% and pay for the fixes too or partner with a non-disqualified person.

You can search for self directed IRA on BP to get more details.

Thanks for the reply Percy! So maybe finding a deal then presenting it to the lender would be a better way to go? I own my home but do not have enough equity just yet. Could get another mortgage but the 20% down would eat up my savings. Just looking for a way to get started. I have found a couple foreclosures I KNOW could bring a nice return just need to figure out the money part!

This post has been removed.

Hey Mark, 

Thanks for the reply. Cant seem to find the message you left. Do you have contact info I could reach you at?

This post has been removed.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.