Need a CPA

13 Replies

Hello all. I'm new to BP, real estate investment, and to South Florida. I've attended a few courses on real estate investments and am a member of a local REIA. Can anyone refer a reputable CPA in the South Florida area? Anywhere from Miami-Dade and Broward Counties would be fine. Thank you kindly. Nahomie.

I've been using Mathieu Accounting for years.  He was able to straighten out a mess for me that was caused by another accountant years ago and I've used him ever since.

Here's his site - http://www.mathieucpa.com/

He is in Oakland Park, but most of the time I email him or discuss things over the phone.

Hi Nahomie, welcome to BP!

What do you want your CPA to do for you?  As a CPA myself, I can tell you there are many reputable CPAs out there each with there own niches. You want to find the CPA that will best fit your particular goals and investments strategy. 

You can find CPAs that will help you evaluate deals, do compilations or reviews of financial to secure financing, tax planning, or just keep your books. You can also use then to find deals, perhaps they can connect you with a client that is looking to divest.

Bottom line is if you can define your goals, you will be able to better identify the people that will help you to be successful.

Andrew

Thank you for the referral, Greg Grant.

Good point, Andrew Harris. My goal to do quick flips as well as long-term investments. I'd hope to hire a CPA who also invests in real estate for tax planning and bookkeeping. I welcome your feedback. Thanks.

Hello @Nahomie Samuel I am also in the Miami area. I am looking for a REIA to attend but it looks like they are all selling something. Do you have one you recommend?

Hi @Nahomie Samuel 

I am actually in Borward myself still looking for a CPA, I am looking for a CPA that would do my taxes for 2016 and that has a real estate mindset, so when i do acquire property, proper steps could be taken to minimize my taxes . I currently don't own property, Good Luck on your search if you don't mind let me know how your search goes.

Originally posted by @Yaroslav Golubev :

Hi @Nahomie Samuel 

I am actually in Borward myself still looking for a CPA, I am looking for a CPA that would do my taxes for 2016 and that has a real estate mindset, so when i do acquire property, proper steps could be taken to minimize my taxes . I currently don't own property, Good Luck on your search if you don't mind let me know how your search goes.

Good morning Yaroslav and Nahomie, I'm a CPA  and rental owner in the local area and I'm happy to help or point you in the right direction. Feel free to send me a message and we can discuss off line.

Kind Regards,

Phil

My advice is don't limit yourself to just South Florida. Plenty of knowledgeable CPAs on BP. Florida has no income tax so it's not hard for out of state CPAs to help you.

Have a phone call with a CPA (not just emails back and forth) tell them your facts and discuss a price. Negotiate a price you are comfortable with that has an overall ceiling. You don't want some accountant sending you endless bills for work you don't even know he's doing.

I'm happy to consult with you or point you to another CPA. I work at a larger firm and for some clients we are a great fit and for others we may not be but I can least tell you who in this area is a reputable accountant.

It's a great time to be a client because there are so many choices.

Very good advice and thank you, Javi Chipi.

Marc Bresseau, DREIA (Dade REIA) is in your area.

Yaroslav Golubev, I suggest joining a Real Estate Investment Association (there are plenty in the South Florida area. Thank you for the well wishes. Will keep you posted.

So happy to have joined BP!

I've been looking for a CPA in southern / middle Palm Beach County area (I live in Delray and most of my work is in WPB) for a while with no luck.... I am a contractor and part time RE investor. Ideally I need a CPA that could help get my books in order and update them periodically, file taxes, provide periodic guidance when purchasing properties etc. I would prefer someone in the area who also owns investment property but I may have to consider someone out of town. 

Any referrals would be appreciated.

Jim

Jim Hiler, Developer in Florida (#CGC1523624)

@Jim Hiler

John W. Boyer, CPA in Palm Beach Gardens has always been awesome to me and the clients I refer.

He gets REI

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.