Analysis and Key Metrics

3 Replies

I have several questions as I try to finalize my analysis procedures.

1. When analyzing a deal do you look at cash flow per unit after debt or cash on cash return? I ask because I've seen people saying they like $100-$200 per door but if that equates to 3% COC return that's no good. And if you are making a good COC return but the dollars per door are tiny that's no good. Seems like you need a combination of $X per door AND a COC return of Y%.

2.  Cash on cash returns are typically after debt.  But what if there is no debt?  Do you have a cap rate or a before debt cashflow that you like to see?  Similar to question #1 but looking for metrics to use before debt.

3. How do you account for turnover costs? painting, repairs, commissions, etc. I don't think I've ever seen such costs in an analysis.

Thanks

Cliff

Hi @Cp

There are lots of tools out there that can help answer these questions in a relatively automatic fashion. My personal favorite is here.

You can make a copy of this sheet and then craft it to your needs.

- Steven

P.S. 3% COC is not inherently "bad" it just depends on the investor's goals. In markets like Indianapolis you'll get great COC but your property will be worth $40,000 forever. That could be fine. In markets where you're going to get 5 or 6% appreciation per year, your COC might be 1% after expenses. That can be fine too.

@Cp Rahaim

1. When analyzing a deal do you look at cash flow per unit after debt or cash on cash return? I ask because I've seen people saying they like $100-$200 per door but if that equates to 3% COCreturn that's no good. And if you are making a good COC return but the dollars per door are tiny that's no good. Seems like you need a combination of $X per door AND a COC return of Y%.

This is personal preference and is something you have to decide based on your own goals.  If I have no money in the property at all, but I'm still maybe making $100/month, maybe that's okay.  Or maybe I don't want to manage properties for less than $200/doors.  Completely subjective.  

2. Cash on cash returns are typically after debt. But what if there is no debt? Do you have a cap rate or a before debt cashflow that you like to see? Similar to question #1 but looking for metrics to use before debt.

The cap rate is the return on your money without debt.  If your NOI (net operating income) is $10,000 and you bought for $100,000 then you're buying on a 10 cap and your return is 10%.  That could also be a 10% cash on cash return, right?  

Again, this is personal preference.  There are people that are okay with a 5% return on their money, and I have friends who won't get out of bed for less than a 25% return.  I want to make at least 12% on my money.  

3. How do you account for turnover costs? painting, repairs, commissions, etc. I don't think I've ever seen such costs in an analysis.

Turnover costs are generally a part of repairs and maintenance.  I use a 15% repairs and maintenance number, which some might argue is high, but I like to be conservative!  

PM me if you have more questions!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.