Finding a real estate agent?

5 Replies

If I'm looking into rental properties in other areas where I have no connections whatsoever, what's the best way to find good real estate agents that I can trust?

If I find a property management company first and then ask them to recommend some agents, is there any potential conflict of interest there?

Thanks,

Ray

@Ray Li Perhaps you want to research reputable turn key companies in the area of interest.  That way you can vet an entire team at once rather than building your team piece by piece.  

The reason I'm hesitant about turnkey companies is that I don't know about the property management company they contract with in general, since that's probably the most important aspect of buy and hold. How do people who buy from turn-key companies deal with the property management?

Thanks,

Ray

I recommend just calling multiple agents off of listings and speaking to them for awhile.

Share you ideals and goals and see how they respond. Ask them how they can help service you.

Hello Ray-

It can be challenging to find an agent, especially if you're not familiar with the area in question. Sometimes your best bet is to ask any of your local agents if they can recommend someone in your target market area. 

As a broker, I work a huge area personally, but because of my networking, I know people in the field in other cities and states, and will always call them to ask for a referral if one of my clients is looking for someone in their area. 

All that being said, if you need help looking for someone, let me know what area interests you and I will see if I can find someone for you. Once you have their contact info, you can speak to them directly and see if it's a fit.

@Ray Li I think finding an agent in an area you are not familiar with will be difficult if you do not take the time to visit the area. 

You could find the largest REIA group in the area and take some time to attend a meeting to get some referrals. Yea it will take some money and time, but the legit investors will know a good person to hook you up with.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.