Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Starting Out
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback
Account Closed
  • Upstate, NY
Votes |
How to avoid the "creative financing" trap.

Account Closed
  • Upstate, NY
Posted May 18 2017, 18:19

Hey all,

This post is an opinion and I just hope to shed light on "Creative Financing".  I am by no means a Guru or expert just an observation.  -  I recommend Brandon Turners book on little to no money investing over my advice any day ! 

I see a ton of post about not having enough money to start investing so they need creative financing tips.  So many beginners do not act because they are spending time figuring out how to finance with little to no money down.  This is a shame and as you will read on this site many seasoned investors give the proper advice but it seems no one listens!  I am sure you have heard experts say things like:

- Tell everyone what you are doing and what types of properties you are looking for, Do not be embarrassed or shy about REI.

- Take action and look at properties and get out there, do not plan your life away and hide behind "the planning stage".

- Someday needs to be today. etc. etc

The general idea here is that you need to get out and let the world know what you are doing and the world will respond and THEN and only THEN you will have opportunities arise that can be closed on in creative methods.  For someone starting off I think the three easiest and most obtainable ways to creatively finance are

- low down payment owner financing

- finding a partner that will be active in the business with you

- find a 1st series of investors (friends family) who will be silent partners

We waste so much time taking creative financing and trying to figure out 10231490123 ways that we can creatively finance and take NO action.  People ask " which form of creative financing do you like better ?" THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A DEAL LINED UP!  This blows my mind and is simply a waste of time and energy !  take the simple list of three ways I just listed(low down payment, partner , friends and family investments) and keep that list in mind.  Then start talking to people and have people spread the word, some people will want to partner with you, some people will have a house to sell you, some people will know someone looking to get out of a property, and someone will want to invest in you.  once you get to enough people with light commitments you should have enough pieces to the puzzle to put a deal together. 

THIS WORKS 5 of my last 6 deals have all been "creative" financing.  All I have done is make what I am doing public and have become the guy who keeps buying real estate.  I have people who connect me with people looking to move on from properties etc and I have also had people with properties call me themselves.  I have multiple people who say they want to do a deal with me and multiple people who have said they would invest with me.  Granted many of these leads may end up a dead end its a start and you just have to keep chugging along and working these leads once you create this brand for yourself. 

Rant over ! lol

Bryant

Loading replies...