Starting Out
Account Closed
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Qualifying for future mortgages while house hacking

Account Closed
  • Indianapolis, IN
Posted Jul 4 2017, 05:59

I am going to be looking at duplexes within the month or so, but in looking at some of the fannie mae overlays for conventional loans, it appears that the income from the other side gets completely added to my income, however the whole PITIA is considered a debt obligation and affects the DTI negatively. The relevant section is here:

Treatment of the Income (or Loss)

The amount of monthly qualifying rental income (or loss) that is considered as part of the borrower's total monthly income (or loss) — and its treatment in the calculation of the borrower's total debt-to-income ratio — varies depending on whether the borrower occupies the rental property as his or her principal residence.

If the rental income relates to the borrower’s principal residence:

• The monthly qualifying rental income (as defined above) must be added to the borrower’s total monthly income. (The income is not netted against the PITIA of the property.)
  • The full amount of the mortgage payment (PITIA) must be included in the borrower’s total monthly obligations when calculating the debt-to-income ratio.

So I guess I am asking if there is a way around this, or if I am reading it wrong, or what other strategies you all use so that you can qualify for future mortgages? From the looks of it, I would have to move into an apartment so that it is no longer my "permanent residence" in order to make my DTI better to get more loans.

Loading replies...