Votes
Jihyoung Kim
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
preapproval and relocating after disability

Jihyoung Kim
  • Raleigh, NC
Posted Jul 11 2017, 19:53

Hello! I've been a Pro member here for a couple of weeks now and studying everyday to get started in REI. I'd love some ideas from the experienced. :-)

My first goal is to purchase a small MF property in southern Utah before the end of the year and start house hacking.  I have no dependents and no homeownership, so I'm paying a lot of taxes -- want to change that soon.  I'm in the process of making my to-do list to reach this goal, but a little unsure about the correct order of doing things.  A bit about my situation and questions:

1.  Timeline - move to southern Utah before the end of the year, because I want to select medical insurance during Open Enrollment (11/1 - 12/15/17).  My current medical group does not exist in Utah, so I must choose a new policy.

2.  My disability benefits officially end this month.  I've been working part-time since 8/2016.  I was laid off in 2012 and diagnosed with cancer 3 months later while on unemployment (yes, I just celebrated my 5-yr survival!).  I will increase my hours to full-time.

3.  Taking a trip overseas next month.  Realistically, I won't be able to start looking to make offers until September.

4.  Currently my credit files are frozen.  I'll lift the security freeze for a few days for preapproval.

5.  I know 2 years min employment history is necessary for loan approval.  Before the layoff and the cancer, I had 18 yrs of corporate experience.  Then I didn't work for 4.5 years.  Still working part-time.  Is this a good time for me to apply for a mortgage?  I certainly don't have enough to pay cash for any decent property right now.  I will need a loan.

6.  If no loan, I'll rent for a year... in southern Utah.  Los Angeles is not a good place for someone in my financial situation, so I'm moving no matter what.

7.  If I should try to get preapproved anyway, will September be the best time to do that?  Unfreezing credit files is an extra step, so I want to time it correctly.

8.  I've been trying to find southern Utahn agents, lenders, property managers, etc here on BP and there aren't that many.  I've sent colleague requests to all the Pro members in southern Utah, and none of them have responded.  Whatever their reasons may be, I feel a bit stuck because reaching out to agents on Zillow has been pretty much unsuccessful, too.  Just one of 11 called back, and he said the market is really hot there now, and nobody has the time to call anyone back.  What else should I do to start building my network, to learn the local RE culture and market there?

Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Loading replies...